MADISON, Wis. – Ohio State’s time in the 2018 Big Ten Tournament came to an end on Thursday night in a 5-1 loss to 12th-seeded Iowa inside Goodman Diamond on the campus of the University of Wisconsin.
- RHP Shelby McCombs got the start in the circle and retired the first five batters.
- Down 2-2 in the count in the first, Lilli Piper belted the ball over the middle for her 20th home run to become Ohio State’s single-season record holder.
- The Hawkeyes scored on a passed ball in the top of the third to even the game at 1-1.
- Iowa went ahead in the top of the seventh as a pair of wild pitches helped runners come in. The Hawkeyes used RBI singles by Taylor Libby and McKenzie Schneider to open the gap to 5-1.
- After coming into the game as a pinch hitter, Taylor Stevens had a single to right field in start the final frame. Amy Balich reentered the game to run the bases and Taylor White drew a walk. Bailee Sturgeon reached on a fielder’s choice and Piper was intentionally walked to cover the bags but the Buckeyes were unable to convert.
- McCombs (16-6) finished the game with eight strikeouts in 6.1 innings pitched and Morgan Raytossed 0.2 innings of relief.
AT THE PLATE
- Lilli Piper went 2-for-2 with two walks, one run and a RBI.
- Four different players recorded Ohio State’s five hits – Piper, Stevens, White and Kallie Boren.
The NCAA Tournament Selection Show airs Sunday, May 13 at 10 p.m. ET on ESPN2 as the Buckeyes seek their third at-large bid in as many years.