Oct. 10, 2014

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

COLUMBUS, Ohio – In its season opener vs. No. 3/4-ranked Providence in Value City Arena, the Ohio State men’s hockey came from a goal down four times to force overtime. Just 28 seconds into the extra session, junior Anthony Greco gave the Buckeyes the 5-4 win, scoring his third goal – and the Buckeyes’ third power play tally – of the game. The Buckeyes recorded the game’s final two goals, with senior Tanner Fritz, who had two goals and two assists, tying the game at four at 12:10 of the third period.

The Buckeyes and Friars will close the two-game series at 7 p.m. Saturday in Value City Arena. The games are part of the Big Ten/Hockey East Challenge. Following the game Saturday, the 2014-15 Buckeye squad will hold a meet and greet on the concourse level by the team shop.

Greco’s hat trick was the first for the Buckeyes’ since Ryan Dzingel scored three times vs. Michigan State Jan. 10. It was the first multiple goal outing of Greco’s career and his first three point game. Fritz posted his third four-point day and first since Nov. 8, 2013 vs. Niagara, while it was his third career two-goal night. Freshman Matthew Weis had three assists (on the last three goals) in the win and junior Sam Jardine had his third career two-assist night. The Buckeyes were 3-for-7 on the power play, converting three of their last four chances, while the penalty kill was 4-for-4 on the night. Ohio State blocked 20 Friar shot attempts in the game and sophomore goalie Christian Frey had 26 saves.

The Friars got on the board at 13:44 of the first period when Nick Saracino scored, but the Buckeyes answered right back, tying the game at one just 19 seconds later. Senior Al McLean passed out of the Buckeye zone to Fritz and he and Greco skated in 2-on-1, with Greco scoring on the fly at 14:03. Providence again took the lead when Brian Pinho scored with 1:33 left in the period, carrying a 2-1 advantage into the first intermission. Shots were 11-10 in favor of the Buckeyes in the period.

Greco scored his second goal of the game at 6:48 of the second period, shortly after coming out of the penalty box, to deadlock the score at two. His tally was assisted by senior Matt Johnson and Jardine. The Friars had another late goal, when Trevor Mingoia’s scored at 18:39. Providence, which outshot the Buckeyes 12-3 in the stanza, had three power play chances in the period but was unable to convert.

In the third, Fritz put in the rebound of a Jardine power play shot at 3:15 to tie the game for a third time. Weis picked up the assist, his first collegiate point. The Friars again went ahead when Tom Parisi scored at 8:18, but Fritz answered at 12:10 to tie the game at four, scoring on the fly on the power play, assisted by Weis and sophomore Drew Brevig. Ohio State outshot Providence, 10-8, in the period.

A late Providence penalty in the third period carried to overtime and the Buckeyes were able to take advantage. Weis found Brevig in the high slot and his shot got through traffic and in for the winner. IT was the only shot of overtime.

The Buckeyes were outshot, 30-25, in the game. Sophomore Christian Frey had 26 saves for the Buckeyes, while Jon Gillies had 20 stops for the Friars. Senior Justin DaSilva had five blocked shots to lead the Buckeyes, while classmate Clark Cristofoli had three blocks.