Dec. 20, 2017
Ohio State Buckeyes (10-3, 2-0) vs. No. 5 North Carolina Tar Heels (10-2)
|Date:||Dec. 23, 2017|
|Site:||Smoothie King Arena (18,500)|
|Game Time:||1:30 p.m. ET|
|Talent:|| Brad Nessler (Play-By-Play)
Bill Raftery (Expert Analysis)
Allie LaForce (Sideline)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (63 stations)|
|Satellite Radio:||Sirius 83/XM 83|
|Radio Talent:|| Paul Keels (Play-By-Play)
Ron Stokes (Expert Analysis)
Starting Five, Plus One
• The family of junior Keita Bates-Diop is working to give back after Kai, Keita’s younger brother, suffered cardiac arrest and was revived by athletic trainers last year at a high school practice. The family is working to raise funds for organizations to purchase automated external defibrillators (AED), a device used by University High School (Bloomington, Ill.) athletic trainers Maddie Biehl and Emily Martz, to revive Kai last February. Read more at http://www.go.osu.edu/KBDFamily.
• Ohio State is 8-15 all-time vs. teams ranked No. 5 in the Associated Press Poll. The Buckeyes are 37-68 vs. Top 5 opponents all-time. Ohio State’s last non-conference game vs. a Top 5 opponent was in Las Vegas vs. No. 2 UCLA last year in the CBSSports Classic (L, 86-73, 12/17/16). Ohio State’s last win vs. a Top 5 opponent was 74-67 in the CBS event over No. 4 Kentucky in Brooklyn, New York, Dec. 19, 2015. Ohio State was unranked vs. both the Bruins and Wildcats.
• Ohio State plays both teams that played for the 2017 NCAA title this year. The Buckeyes fell to No. 17 Gonzaga (86-59) in Portland, Oregon, in the PK80 Invitational Nov. 23. The Bulldogs fell to North Carolina in the 2017 National Championship game. The Buckeyes face the Tar Heels Saturday in New Orleans in the 2017 CBSSports Classic.
The last time Ohio State played both teams that participated in the national title game from the previous season was in 1993-94 when the Buckeyes traveled to No. 2 North Carolina and fell to the Tar Heels 81-68 Dec. 18, 1993 and faced Michigan twice, home and away. Ohio State fell in overtime at No. 10 Michigan 86-75 Jan. 13, 1994 and at home to No. 11 Michigan 72-70 Feb. 13, 1994. North Carolina defeated Michigan for the 1993 National Championship.
The last time Ohio State played a pair of Final Four participants from the previous season was in 2015-16 when Ohio State played Kentucky, Wisconsin and Michigan State, all three were Final Four participants in 2015. Ohio State defeated No. 4 Kentucky 74-67 in the CBSSports Classic (12/19/15). The Buckeyes were 0-3 vs. No. 2 Michigan State and 0-1 vs. Wisconsin, the national runner-up in 2015, during the 2016 Big Ten season.
• Both Tate and Bates-Diop, along with fifth-year transfer Andrew Dakich, are college graduates. Tate (sport industry) and Bates-Diop (economics) earned Ohio State degrees after three and a half years when they went through graduation ceremonies Dec. 17 in Columbus. Dakich (history) is a graduate of Michigan playing his final year of eligibility at Ohio State as a graduate transfer. Both Dakich and Tate are working on graduate degrees in coaching. Bates-Diop is now working on a minor in psychology.
• Bates-Diop reached 400 rebounds (441) for his career with seven vs. Clemson…he’s averaging 8.9 boards a game this season with 116 caroms in 13 games…Jae’Sean Tate reached 1,200 career points with 16 at Wisconsin (1,262)…he’s averaging 12.9 points a game this season and 11.7 ppg. for his career…he passed Ohio State great Ron Stokes on the career scoring list with 19 points against Appalachian State…Tate ranks No. 33 all-time in career scoring behind Jared Sullinger (1,282).
31. Clark Kellogg 1,285
32. Jared Sullinger 1,282
33. Jae’Sean Tate 1,262
34. Ronnie Stokes 1,240
C.J. Jackson has nine games this season with 10 or more points, including eight in the last 10 games…he tallied a career-high 23 points vs. Stanford at PK80 before a 19-point effort vs. Butler Nov. 26 … he has 25 assists and eight turnovers in the last five games … Ohio State played in its 300th game this decade (2010-18) and is 220-80 after the win vs. The Citadel, the winningest decade on Ohio State history.
• Tate is one of just five players in the NCAA this season to make every field goal attempt in a game in which they took double-digit shots after connecting on all 10 field goal attempts vs. Northeastern…Tate is second nationally in field goal percentage (.603) among players 6-4 or shorter.
For more on the Buckeyes, click on the Ohio State Notes link above.