COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 5 Ohio State men’s tennis team was dominant for a second consecutive day, sweeping host No. 17 North Carolina 4-0 on Sunday to earn a spot at the ITA Indoor Championships.
After losing last year for just the first time during the ITA Kickoff Weekend, OSU (5-0) rebounded with two convincing victories over No. 26 Arizona State Saturday and the Tar Heels on Sunday. The win also avenged a loss to North Carolina in the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament in 2019.
The Buckeyes are now 27-1 all time and 13-1 in the championship round of the ITA Kickoff Weekend tournament.
Matej Vocel and Robert Cash remained unbeaten on the year in doubles with a 6-1 victory over the No. 20 team of Casey Kania/Logan Zapp. After a UNC win on court one, Cannon Kinglsey and JJ Tracy defeated Peter Murphy and Benjamin Sigouin 6-3 on court three to secure the doubles point for the fifth consecutive match.
In singles, the Buckeyes took five of the six first sets to take complete control of the match. Vocel was the first to finish as he cruised past Sigouin 6-1, 6-3 to improve to 15-3 on the season. Junior Justin Boulais provided the third point with his 6-4, 6-2 win over Henry Lieberman and then James Trotter clinched the win with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Zapp on court four.
Kinglsey battled No. 60 Brian Cernoch to a 9-7 first-set tiebreaking win on court one while Cash was also leading 6-4, 2-3 on court six. Tracy dropped the opening set 7-5 to Mac Kiger but rebounded to take the second set 6-1.
The win sends the Buckeyes to the ITA National Indoor Championships in Seattle, Wash., on Feb. 18-21. But before that, Ohio State will host two big weekends of matches at the Ty Tucker Tennis Center. This Friday, the Buckeyes will take on No. 1 Tennessee before hosting No. 6 Virginia on Sunday. Admission is free to both matches.
#5 Ohio State 4, #17 North Carolina 0
1. #60 Brian Cernoch (NC) vs. Cannon Kingsley (OSU) 6-7 (7-9), 1-5, unfinished
2. #5 Matej Vocel (OSU) def. Benjamin Sigouin (NC) 6-1, 6-3
3. Mac Kiger (NC) vs. #14 JJ Tracy (OSU) 7-5, 1-6, unfinished
4. #42 James Trotter (OSU) def. Logan Zapp (NC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Justin Boulais (OSU) def. Henry Lieberman (NC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Anuj Watane (NC) vs. #95 Robert Cash (OSU) 4-6, 3-2, unfinished
1. Brian Cernoch/Mac Kiger (NC) def. #2 Justin Boulais/James Trotter (OSU) 6-4
2. #1 Robert Cash/Matej Vocel (OSU) def. #20 Casey Kania/Logan Zapp (NC) 6-1
3. Cannon Kingsley/JJ Tracy (OSU) def. Peter Murphy/Benjamin Sigouin (NC) 6-3
Ohio State 4-0; National ranking #5
North Carolina 2-0; National ranking #17
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,5,4)