COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s tennis team fell to Clemson, 4-1, in the opening round of the NCAA Championship Friday afternoon in Nashville, Tennessee. The No. 28-ranked Buckeyes, who were making the program’s fifth NCAA appearance in a row, close their season 14-9 overall and were 7-4 in B1G play.
Ohio State dropped the doubles point to the Tigers. Clemson’s tandem of Tate Schroeder and Ally Miller-Krasilnikov won 6-2 over Mary Beth Hurley and Olivia Sneed on court two. On court three, the Buckeye duo of Danielle Wolf and Maria Tyrina was down 5-2 but won back-to-back games to get to 5-4. The Clemson tandem of Daniela Ruiz and Sydney Ruiz served out the set for a 6-4 win to clinch the doubles point.
In a matchup of ranked teams on court one, the Buckeyes’ No. 51-ranked tandem of Anna Sanford and Shiori Fukuda was leading No. 21 Fernanda Navarro and Marie-Alexandre Leduc, 5-2 (serving up 40-15) when play was called.
Clemson won the first two singles matches for a 3-0 advantage. Tate Schroeder posted a 6-3, 6-2 win over Olivia Sneed on court three, followed by a 6-3, 6-3 victory from Sydney Riley over Danielle Wolf on court four.
On court five, Buckeye freshman Mary Beth Hurley topped Ally Miller-Krasilnikov, 6-4, 6-2, to put the Buckeyes on the board.
Clemson’s No. 24-ranked Marie-Alexandre Leduc won a close match on court one vs. No. 57 Anna Sanford for the Tiger victory. Leduc won the first set 6-4, and prevailed in a tiebreaker in the second set.
On court two Buckeye freshman Shiori Fukuda was up a set vs. Fernanda Navarro (6-1, 5-6) and junior Andrea Ballinger led Daniela Ruiz, 7-5, 5-4, on court six when play was called.
NCAA Singles Championship Ahead
Buckeye senior Anna Sanford received an at-large bid to the 64-player NCAA Singles Championship. The singles competition will be held May 23-28 at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex in Winston-Salem, N.C., following the conclusion of the NCAA team championship.
Clemson vs Ohio State
May 11, 2018 at Nashville, Tenn.
(Currey Tennis Center)
#41 Clemson 4, #28 Ohio State 1
1. #24 Marie Leduc (CU) def. #57 Anna Sanford (OSU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
2. #101 Shiori Fukuda (OSU) vs. Fernanda Navarro (CU) 6-1, 5-6, unfinished
3. Tate Schroeder (CU) def. Olivia Sneed (OSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Sydney Riley (CU) def. Danielle Wolf (OSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Mary Beth Hurley (OSU) def. A Miller-Krasilnikov (CU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Andrea Ballinger (OSU) vs. Daniela Ruiz (CU) 7-5, 5-4, unfinished
1. #51 Anna Sanford/Shiori Fukuda (OSU) vs. #21 Fernanda Navarro/Marie Leduc (CU) 5-2, unfinished
2. Tate Schroeder/A Miller-Krasilnikov (CU) def. Mary Beth Hurley/Olivia Sneed (OSU) 6-2
3. Daniela Ruiz/Sydney Riley (CU) def. Danielle Wolf/Maria Tyrina (OSU) 6-4
Clemson 14-13; National ranking #41
Ohio State 14-9; National ranking #28
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,4,5,1)
NCAA Championship first round match