Oct. 11, 2014

Box Score

COLUMBUS, Ohio – For the second night in a row, the Ohio State men’s hockey team came from a goal down and went to overtime vs. No. 3/4-ranked Providence. However, the Friars came away with the win in game two, 2-1, after the Buckeyes claimed an overtime victory (5-4) in the series opener.

The teams end the season-opening series with matching 1-1 records, splitting the games that were part of the Big Ten/Hockey East Challenge. Ohio State will be back in action next weekend with a home-and-home series vs. Miami, hosting the RedHawks at 7 p.m. Friday in Value city Arena and traveling to Oxford Saturday.

After combining for nine goals Friday, the Buckeyes and Friars were scoreless through the first 48:09 Saturday. Providence finally broke through with a goal in the third period from Logan Day, but Buckeye freshman Luke Stork netted his first career goal 42 seconds later for a one-all deadlock. The teams’ goalies, Matt Tomkins for Ohio State and Jon Gillies for Providence, each had two saves in overtime, but Brian Pinho tallied his second of the weekend at 4:15 of the extra stanza to lift the Friars to the win.

Providence had 10 shots in the first period, with the Buckeyes putting six on net, but both goalies stood strong. Each team had one power play chance in the stanza.

Despite killing seven minutes of Providence power play time in the second period, Ohio State outshot the Friars, 12-5, in the period. The second period started with Ohio State down a man for five minutes after a major penalty on Josh Healey at the end of the first period, but the Buckeyes held the Friars to just three shot attempts (one on goal) in the five minute advantage.

Day’s goal at 8:51 of the third put the Friars ahead, 1-0. Quickly after, freshman Nicholas Jones took a pass down low from senior Nick Oddo and found Stork outside the crease, who scored to tie the game at one at 8:51. The Friars outshot the Buckeyes, 12-7, in the stanza and neither team had a power play chance.

In overtime, the Friars came away with the puck after a battle along the boards near the Buckeye blueline and Ross Mauermann found Pinho for a shot on the fly and it found the back of the net for the gamewinner.

Ohio State was outshot, 29-27, in the game. Tomkins made 27 saves for the Buckeyes in 64:15, while Gillies had 26 stops in 64:15. Ohio State blocked 17 Friar attempts, led by senior Justin DaSilva with four and sophomore Drew Brevig and junior Sam Jardine with three each.

The Buckeye penalty kill was 3-for-3 in the game and 7-for-7 on the weekend. Ohio State, which was 3-for-7 Friday night with the man advantage, had just one power play chance in the contest.

Carrying back to last season, four of the Buckeyes’ last five games have gone to overtime, with Ohio State 2-2 in those contests.