OSU vs. UCSB | OSU vs. FS | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
FRESNO, Calif. – The Ohio State softball team (4-6) split its opening day of the Fresno State Invitational at Margie Wright Diamond on Friday. The Buckeyes had a 5-1 victory over UC Santa Barbara (9-4) and lost to Fresno State (11-3) in the nightcap, 9-4.
GAME 1: Ohio State 5, UCSB 1
THE NITTY GRITTY
- Mariah Rodriguez put the Buckeyes ahead 2-0 in the top of the second inning on a two-RBI double, the first hit of her career.
- UCSB joined the scoring in the bottom half of the second, 2-1, on a throwing error.
- Staring down a full count in the fourth, Carley Gaskill drilled the ball down the left field line for a solo home run.
- Taylor Pack’s deep double and a fielding error by the centerfielder brought Niki Carver home. Rodriguez slipped a RBI single up the middle to plate pinch runner Sam Hackenbracht, which extended the lead to 5-1 in the sixth.
- RHP Payton Buresch (3-3) earned the win in her fourth complete game of the season. She struck out three batters and did not give up a walk or extra-base hit.
- Niki Carver went 3-for-4 and scored twice.
- Mariah Rodriguez had two hits, including the first of her career.
- Six Buckeyes recorded a hit in the outing.
- Ohio State connected on 11 hits, the third most this season.
- For the first time this year, a Buckeye pitcher did not concede a walk.
GAME 2: Fresno State 9, Ohio State 4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bulldogs capitalized on a Buckeye miscue to take a 1-0 edge in the bottom of the first.
- Ohio State went ahead 2-1 in the second. A pair of singles and an error put Kaitlyn Coffman and Claire Nicholson in scoring position. Niki Carver’s two-RBI single sent the duo home.
- Avery Clark roped the first double of her career all the way to the left field fence to plate Andi Farrah in the third.
- Fresno State tacked on four runs in the home half of the frame for a 5-3 advantage. It happened on back-to-back solo home runs, an RBI single and fielder’s choice.
- The Bulldogs opened the gap to 7-3 on a two-RBI single in the fifth.
- Carver doubled and Pack singled to put runners on the corners. A run would come in as the Bulldogs focused on the runner trying to steal.
- An RBI double and single in the sixth added to Fresno State’s tally, 9-4.
- RHP Skylar Hayward (0-1) was charged with the loss after 0.1 innings of two-run, three-walk relief. Jessica Ross started the game and tossed two innings where she allowed three hits and three runs (two earned) with two strikeouts. Payton Buresch pitched the final 3.2 innings. She gave up five hits and four runs but struck out a pair.
The Buckeyes are set to take on UCSB at 2:30 p.m. ET and Pacific at 5:30 p.m. ET on Saturday.