IOWA CITY, Iowa – The Ohio State softball team bounced back on Saturday afternoon with a 10-0 run-rule win over Iowa at Bob Pearl Field. The triumph puts the Buckeyes at 33-15 overall and 16-6 in Big Ten games while the Hawkeyes drop to 19-30 and 5-17 in conference action.
IN THE CIRCLE
Right-handed pitcher Lauren Rice earned her 16th win and first shutout victory of the year. She gave up two hits and struck out one batter in four innings. Kat Duvall faced three Hawkeyes in the fifth inning for zeros across the board.
THE NITTY GRITTY
- Bri Betschel got the offense going in the opening frame with a leadoff single. She made her way to second base on a passed ball before Lilli Piper walked and another passed ball put them in scoring position. Emily Clark drew a walk and Ashley Prange reached on a fielder’s choice while Betschel came in.
- With the bases still loaded, Kaitlyn Coffman demolished a grand slam over the middle, her second of the season, to put OSU ahead 5-0.
- The hits continued in the second inning as Betschel singled and Piper doubled. Clark put her power on display with a three-run homer off the scoreboard.
- Spencer Sansom beat the throw at first base for a single and Piper brought her home with a two-run dinger in the third, extending the lead to 10-0.
- Ohio State had its 12th shutout and ninth run-rule win of the season.
- The Buckeyes scored nine of their 10 runs on homers.
- Bri Betschel tallied three hits and two runs.
- Lilli Piper notched three runs, two hits, two RBI and a walk.
- Emily Clark chipped in three RBI, two runs, one hit and one walk.
- Kaitlyn Coffman added four RBI, two hits and one run.
- Spencer Sansom scored a run and had a hit while Ashley Prange had one hit, one run and one RBI.
- Piper and Betschel have 17 and 13 multi-hit games, respectively.
- Clark has reached base in 19 straight outings and has 12 multi-RBI games.
The series in on the line in Sunday’s regular season finale at 12 p.m. CT/1 p.m. ET.