Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | 2020 Schedule | 2020 Roster | Big Ten Lacrosse | Women’s Homepage
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s lacrosse team will travel to Towson, Md. to compete in a match-up against Towson University Tuesday at 7 p.m. The game will be played at Towson’s Johnny Unitas Stadium.
FOLLOW THE BUCKEYES
SERIES HISTORY WITH TOWSON
- The game Tuesday will be only the second time the Buckeyes and the Tigers have played each other.
- The only other meeting was on April 27, 1996 when Towson defeated the Buckeyes 16-6.
BUCKEYES NOTES IN A NUTSHELL
- Ohio State is 5-3 on the season following a 16-14 win at Marquette on Saturday.
- The Buckeyes’ offense is averaging 13.38 goals per game and is led by starters Liza Hernandez (18G-3A-21P), Sophie Baez (14G-6A-20P), Nicole Ferrara (12G-4A-16P), Chloe Johnson (11G-2A-13P) and Ali Beekhuizen (11G-2A-13P). Together, the quintet has accounted for 62 percent of the Buckeyes’ goal production and 56 percent of its point production.
- Senior goalie and team captain Jill Rizzo leads the team with 27 ground balls and ties co-captain Liza Hernandez with a team high of seven caused turnovers.
- Rizzo has registered 98 saves this season and has 655 in her career – best in program history. She leads the Big Ten and ranked No. 3 nationally in saves.
- Ohio State has seen major contributions from its freshmen class this season as Nicole Ferrara (12G-4A-16P), Caly O’Brien (7G-2A-9P), Ashley Turner (8G-6A-14P) and Janie Cowley (6G-2A-8P) are all offensive scoring threats. The freshmen account for 31 percent of the Buckeyes total goals and 32 percent of the team’s total points.
- Sophomore Chloe Johnson is from Derwood, Md., which is approximately one hour from Towson’s campus.
- Towson enters the week 1-4 with a win over High Point at home.
- Senior Shelby Stack leads the offense with 15 points on 11 goals and four assists. Freshman Blair Pearre also has 11 scores this season, the most of any rookie on the team.
- Sophomores Molly Lynch and Julia Porter have assisted five times in 2020, which leads the team.
- Defensively, senior Sami Chenoweth continues to be a force with 11 caused turnovers; she also has nine ground balls. Goalie Carly Merlo has the team-high in ground balls with 15.
- Three players have double figure draw controls this season, with sophomore Kerri Thornton leading the pack she has 18.
- The Tigers are coached by Sonia LaMonica, who is in her 10th season at Towson. She has an overall record of 109-67 overall with a CAA mark of 45-11 and a home record of 58-28. She has led the Tigers to three conference titles and several player accolades including All-Americans and CAA individual awards.
BIG TEN CONFERENCE LEADERS
- Jill Rizzo leads the Big Ten in total saves (98) and is No. 3 nationally. Her average of 11.63 saves/game is ninth-best nationally and No. 2 in the conference.
- Liza Hernandez leads the Big Ten in shots on goal per game (5.43). Her 18 total goals on the season is sixth best in the Big Ten.
- Ohio State won a 16-14 decision to Marquette, marking their first road win of the season.
- The Buckeyes had goals from seven different players during the game, including four goals from Liza Hernandez and Nicole Ferrara.
- Senior goalkeeper, Jill Rizzo scooped up eight ground balls and increased her season-high total to 27 ground balls on the season.
- Freshman Ashley Turner had a team-high three assists in the game has tied Baez for the team lead with six assists this season.
- Fourteen states and one province of Canada make up the hometowns of the 2020 Buckeyes.
- Eight players hail from New York, the most represented state on the team.
- Seven players are from Ohio.
- Head coach Amy Bokker is in her first year with the Buckeyes.
- Bokker, the winningest coach in Stanford history, has a career record of 250-164 in her 24th season as a head coach.
- Bokker is assisted by associate head coach Kristen “Cookie” Carr and assistant coach Kara Mupo, both of whom coached with her at Stanford.
- Seniors Jill Rizzo, Liza Hernandez, Regina Doty and Emily Skrzypczak, along with junior Lindsay Epstein, are the Buckeyes’ team captains.
- Rizzo is a three-time returning captain.
- Bokker on her team’s captains: “Regina, Emily, Lindsay, Liza and Jill have shown unwavering commitment to our core values and are true positive influences for Buckeye women’s lacrosse. They each embody the traits of excellent role models and we believe, collectively, will help lead our team to greatness.”
THIS AND THAT
- Following Tuesday’s contest, the Buckeyes wrap up their five-game road trip with a Spring Break trek through Baltimore, Md., to open Big Ten play against Johns Hopkins (March 14).
- When the Buckeyes return home on March 21, they will face No. 10 Maryland. The Terrapins are one of seven ranked teams on Ohio State’s schedule.
- Columbus will be the host of the 2020 Big Ten Women’s Lacrosse Tournament, which is scheduled to take place May 1-3. The top four teams in the regular season will make the tournament with the No. 1 seed facing the No. 4 seed and the No. 2 seed playing the No. 3 seed in the semifinals. The championship game, hosted on Sunday, May 3. will determine the conference’s automatic bid the NCAA Tournament.