COLUMBUS, Ohio – Playing outside at home for the first time this season, the No. 4 ranked Ohio State men’s tennis team had little trouble battling the elements in a 4-0 sweep of Columbia in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
The Buckeyes are now 26-3 on the season and will host USC in the NCAA Super Regional round next Saturday at noon at the Auer Tennis Complex.
All three Buckeye doubles teams put on strong performances. Cannon Kingsley and JJ Tracy controlled the match on court three for its duration as they finished first with a 6-3 win. On court two, Andrew Lutschaunig and Justin Boulais were at match point at the same time as Kingsley and Tracy. They finished just seconds later with a 6-3 win to clinch the point. The Buckeyes nearly put all three doubles wins on the board for the second consecutive day as Matej Vocel and Robert Cash were up 5-2 and about to start match point when the doubles point was clinched.
In singles, Boulais raced to an impressive 6-2, 6-2 win over Roko Horvat on court six to put the second point on the board. Jake Van Emburgh also notched a straight-set win as he took down Henry Ruger 6-4, 6-3 on court four.
Columbia had won two first sets on courts two and three but Vocel was able to turn one of those around. After losing the opening set 6-3, Vocel stormed back and took charge with a 6-2 win in the second and then finished-off Hugo Hashimoto 6-1 in the third to push the Buckeyes through to the next round.
Next Saturday’s match will be the fourth meeting between USC and Ohio State in the NCAA Tournament and the first in Columbus. USC won in the 2009 finals, the 2010 quarterfinals and the Buckeyes won in the 2013 quarterfinals.
#4 Ohio State 4, Columbia 0
1. #9 Cannon Kingsley (OSU) vs. #22 Alex Kotzen (COLUMBIA) 6-3, 5-5, unfinished
2. #13 Matej Vocel (OSU) def. Hugo Hashimoto (COLUMBIA) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
3. #19 JJ Tracy (OSU) vs. Max Westphal (COLUMBIA) 3-6, 6-3, 4-1, unfinished
4. #122 Jake Van Emburgh (OSU) def. Henry Ruger (COLUMBIA) 6-4, 6-3
5. #46 James Trotter (OSU) vs. Austin Huang (COLUMBIA) 6-4, 3-6, 2-2, unfinished
6. Justin Boulais (OSU) def. Roko Horvat (COLUMBIA) 6-2, 6-2
1. Matej Vocel/Robert Cash (OSU) vs. Henry Ruger/Theo Winegar (COLUMBIA) 5-2, unfinished
2. Andrew Lutschaunig/Justin Boulais (OSU) def. Roey Tabet/Max Westphal (COLUMBIA) 6-3
3. Cannon Kingsley/JJ Tracy (OSU) def. Roko Horvat/Alex Kotzen (COLUMBIA) 6-3
Ohio State 26-3; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,4,2)
Official: Julio Colon T-2:23 A-186