Feb. 12, 2016
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 6-seed Ohio State Buckeyes rolled to a solid 4-0 victory over No. 11-seed Baylor in the opening round of the ITA Indoor Team Championship in Charlottesville, Va., on Friday.
The Buckeyes will play No. 3-seed North Carolina at Noon on Saturday in the quarterfinals. The Tar Heels lost the doubles point to Texas Tech but rallied for four-straight singles wins to take the match.
The win was the ninth-straight for Ohio State to open the season and it was also the ninth-straight victory without surrendering a point.
The No. 19-ranked doubles team of Herkko Pollanen and Mikael Torpegaard started the day for the Buckeyes with a 6-2 victory over Paul Oosterbaan and Jan Zielinski at No. 2 doubles. Martin Joyce and Ralf Steinbach dropped their first match of the spring at No. 1 doubles but senior Chris Diaz and sophomore Hugo Di Feo quickly had their backs as they clinched the point with a 6-4 win over Tommy Podvinski and Jimmy Bendeck on court three.
In singles, the Buckeyes dominated on courts 3-6. Di Feo jumped out quick on Felipe Rios in both sets and claimed his 12th win of the season with a 6-2, 6-2 victory. Pollanen followed with a 6-3, 6-2 win on court four over Will Little and then Joyce ended the match with a 6-2, 6-2 triumph on court five over Podvinski. Steinbach finished his match one court five moments after Joyce, winning 6-3, 6-4 over Bendeck to provide the final 5-0 margin.
Ohio State has now advanced to the quarterfinals in all 10 ITA Indoor Team Championships. Saturday’s matchup with North Carolina will be the 10th meeting between the two teams. Ohio State has won the previous nine matches and this will be the first match in the ITA Indoor Championships.
Live scoring and live video of the final three rounds can be found at itatennis.com
#8 Ohio State 5, #4 Baylor 0
1. #5 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) vs. #19 Julian Lenz (BU) 3-6, 6-3, unfinished
2. #42 Chris Diaz (OSU) vs. #65 Max Tchoutakian (BU) 5-7, 2-3, unfinished
3. Hugo Di Feo (OSU) def. Felipe Rios (BU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Will Little (BU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. Jimmy Bendeck (BU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Tommy Podvinski (BU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Julian Lenz/Will Little (BU) def. #14 Ralf Steinbach/Martin Joyce (OSU) 6-4
2. #19 Mikael Torpegaard/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Max Tchoutakian/Felipe Rios (BU) 6-2
3. Hugo Di Feo/Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Jimmy Bendeck/Tommy Podvinski (BU) 6-4
Baylor 5-3; National ranking #4
Ohio State 9-0; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,4,6,5)
First round of ITA Indoor Team Championships