The Valspar Collegiate Invitational
Dates: March 27-28
Course: Floridian National Golf Club – Palm City, Fla.
Par/Yardage: Par 71 – 7,114 yards
Live Scoring: Golfstat
Format: Play 5, Count 4
Teams: #48 Houston, #2 Arizona State, #3 Texas Tech, #4 North Carolina, #7 Florida State, #9 Pepperdine, #10 Texas, #14 Texas A&M, #18 Georgia Southern, #26 Northwestern, #36 Wake Forest, #37 Duke, Marquette, Minnesota and Ohio State (Golfstat rankings)
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Coming off a runner-up finish last time out, Ohio State will look to carry that momentum into this week’s Valspar Collegiate Invitational at the Floridian National Golf Club. The field, which is annually one of the strongest in collegiate golf, will feature 12 teams ranked in the Top 50 of the latest Golfstat rankings.
- Ohio State’s lineup will feature Adam Wallin, Maxwell Moldovan, JonErik Alford, Neal Shipley and Jackson Chandler.
- Ohio State finished runner-up at The Johnnie-O at Sea Island two weeks ago. That was the team’s fourth Top 5 finish in seven events this season.
- This will be the third appearance for the Buckeyes at the Valspar Collegiate. They finished third in 2021 and sixth in 2022.
- Maxwell Moldovan posted three rounds at par or better at Sea Island to finish tied for fourth at 2-under par. He continues to lead the team in scoring at 70.29 and has sixth Top 20 finishes in seven events.
- Moldovan has played well at the Valspar the last two seasons. He finished runner-up as a freshman at 10-under par in 2021 a 14th at 4-under par last year. In six rounds at Floridian GC, he has averaged 68.83.
- Adam Wallin has also finished under-par at the Valspar the last two seasons, finishing 3-under last year and 1-under in 2021. He is second on the team in scoring at 72.00 and has four Top 20 finishes on the year.
- Jackson Chandler has had just one round over 72 in his nine tournament rounds this spring. He is averaging 72.28 on the season with a pair of Top 20 finishes. He carded a 69 in the final round of the Valspar in 2021, helping the Buckeyes post a 273, which is the sixth-lowest round in program history.
- Neal Shipley has been consistent this spring, posting 54-hole totals of 211, 213 and 213 in the three events. He is averaging 72.81 on the year and has made four eagles, which is second-most on the team.
- JonErik Alford shot a career-low 67 in the final round of last year’s Valspar Collegiate en route to finishing at 2-under par. That was his second under-par finish of last season and he has also posted a pair of under-par tournaments this season.
- The forecast looks tremendous for the two days, with temperatures in the upper-80s with little breeze.