ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The No. 14 men and No. 22 women’s Ohio State swimming & diving team went up against Top Five competition with a rivalry dual against the No. 4 men and No. 2 women of Michigan on Saturday afternoon at the Canham Natatorium in Ann Arbor, Mich.
The Buckeye men fell to the Wolverine men, 202-98, and the OSU women dropped to the UM women, 196-104. Ohio State held the No. 2 women to their second-lowest score of the season and won three individual events including a sweep on the 1 and 3-Meter boards.
• Women’s 1000 Free – Molly Kowal, 9:49.78
• Men’s 100 Back – Ben Sugar, 48.45
• Women’s 3-Meter – Genevieve Angerame, 290.15
• Women’s 1-Meter – Lexie Barker, 288.80
• Men’s 400 Free Relay – Loy, Abeysinghe, DeLakis, Gaziev – 2:55.61
HOW IT HAPPENED – WOMEN’S TEAM
• OSU’s three first-place finishes came from junior Molly Kowal in the 1000 Free with a time of 9:49.78, sophomore Genevieve Angerame on the 3-Meter board (290.15) and sophomore Lexie Barker on the 1-Meter board (288.80).
• Both of OSU’s relay teams placed second, with the 200 Medley Relay (Rebekah Bradley, Hanna Gresser, Katie Trace and Freya Rayner) clocking in at 1:39.56 and the 400 Free Relay (Taylor Petrak, Maria Coy, Rayner and Kristen Romano) touhing the wall at 3:23.32.
• Ohio State saw second-place finishes from Rayner in the 50 Free (22.83 – season-best), Lara Tarvit on 3-Meter (284.65), Romano in the 200 Back and 200 IM (1:58.18/2:01.94) and Kowal in the 500 Free (4:50.68).
• Grace Kowal swam a season-best in the 1000 Free (10:05.62), as did Rayner in the 100 Free with a time of 50.55. Katie Trace posted a season-best time in the 100 Fly at 54.78.
• Bradley took third in the 100 Back, clocking in at 55.13. Gresser placed third in both the 100 and 200 Breast with times of 1:02.56 and 2:18.43, respectively. Maria Coy claimed third in the 50 Free with a mark of 23.13.
HOW IT HAPPENED – MEN’S TEAM
• Ben Sugar won his first individual event of the season with a 100 Back time of 48.45, beating out Michigan’s Alex King by 0.2 second.
• The men’s 400 Free Relay claimed a win to close out the meet, with Andrew Loy, Matthew Abeysinghe, Paul DeLakis and Ruslan Gaziev teaming up to post a time of 2:55.61.
• OSU was consistently in the mix for first, claiming second in 11 events. Ruslan Gaziev was second in the 200 Free (1:36.82), 50 Free (20.30) and 100 Free (44.09) – always within a second of the first-place time. Nick Hogsed was second in both the 1000 Free (9:02.93) and the 500 Free (4:26.46), not far behind one of the fastest distance swimmers in the nation, Ricardo Vargas. Michael Salazar was second in the 100 Fly (47.25), just 0.01 second behind Miles Smachlo. Noah Lense was also second in the 200 Fly behind Smachlo, whose 200 Fly time is in the Top 10 in the nation. Lense’s time of 1:46.19 was a season-best.
• Another season-best came for the 200 Medley Relay of Sugar, Jason Mathews, Salazar and Mossimo Chavez with a time of 1:27.81.
Ohio State will compete in the annual Shamrock Invitational on Friday-Saturday, Jan. 25-26 in Notre Dame, Ind.