COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Buckeyes improved to 5-0 on the regular season by defeating Purdue in a non-conference matchup on the opening day of the ITA Kickoff.
In doubles, the Boilermakers showed early resilience until the Buckeyes would gain stride and eventually win the doubles point. On court one, Robert Cash and John McNally continued to display their chemistry as a tandem and rolled to a 6-1 victory. James Trotter and Justin Boulais gifted the Buckeyes with a 1-0 match lead on court two by capturing a 6-3 win.
In singles, the Buckeyes cruised to yet another dominant performance on the season. John McNally got off to hot start and downed No. 45 ranked Athell Bennett 6-2,6-1. No. 40 ranked James Trotter tallied the Buckeye’s third match point with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over on court six. Freshman Cannon Kingsley pulled out the first-set tiebreaker against Mateo Julio then carried that momentum into second set to clinch the match point with a 7-6(7-2), 6-2 victory.
After defeating Utah in a tightly contested matchup, the Tulsa Hurricanes are set to face No. 6 Ohio State tomorrow at 1 p.m. in the second day of the ITA Kickoff Weekend.
#6 Ohio State 4, Purdue 0
1.#24 John McNally (OSU) def. #45 Athell Bennett (PUR) 6-2, 6-1
2. #16 Cannon Kingsley (OSU) def. Mateo Julio (PUR) 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
3. Justin Boulais (OSU) vs. Maksymillian Raupuk (PUR) 6-7 (4-7), 3-2, unfinished
4. #28 Kyle Seelig (OSU) vs. Michal Wozniak (PUR) 6-2, 4-5, unfinished
5. Robert Cash (OSU) vs. Sebastian Welch (PUR) 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
6. #40 James Trotter (OSU) def. Franz Luna (PUR) 6-3, 6-1
1. #2 John McNally/Robert Cash (OSU) def. Athell Bennett/Maksymillian Raupuk (PUR) 6-1
2. James Trotter/Justin Boulais (OSU) def. Julian Saborio/Michal Wozniak (PUR) 6-3
3. Kyle Seelig/Cannon Kingsley (OSU) vs. Mateo Julio/Sebastian Welch (PUR) 3-5, unfinished
Ohio State 5-0; National ranking #6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,6,2) ITA Kickoff Weekend
Official: Mark Anderson T-1:49 A-126