ITA Midwest Regional Championship
Dates: Oct. 22-25, 2021
Time: All Day
Venue: MSU Indoor Tennis Facility / Michigan Athletic Club – East Lansing, Mich.
Website: Tournament Website
COLUMBUS, Ohio – After a good showing at the ITA All-American Championships earlier this month, members of the Ohio State men’s tennis team head to the ITA Midwest Regional Championship this weekend looking to keep the quality play going. The event, which the Buckeyes have dominated in recent years, is being hosted this fall by Michigan State. Qualifying opens on Thursday and main draw action starts on Friday.
- Winners of the finals in the main draw of singles and doubles play will qualify for the ITA Fall Championships next month in San Diego, Calif.
- The list of Buckeyes competing this weekend include Justin Boulais, Robert Cash, JJ Tracy, James Trotter, Matej Vocel and Reece Yakubov.
- The last time the tournament was held in 2019, John McNally won the singles title and then he teamed with then freshman Robert Cash to win the doubles title. Ohio State hosted the event in 2019.
- A Buckeye has won the ITA Midwest Region singles title 10 times and five doubles teams have a title. Peter Kobelt had the most success as he won back-to-back singles crowns in 2012 and 2013 and he was part of three winning doubles teams.
- The Buckeyes had a great showing at the ITA All-American Championship in Tulsa, Okla. Matej Vocel went a combined 13-1 over the seven days, winning the consolation singles title and then teamed with Robert Cash to claim the main draw doubles crown.
- It was an all-Buckeye doubles final in Tulsa as Vocel and Cash played James Trotter and Justin Boulais in the title match. The two teams combined to win six matches over ranked teams.
- JJ Tracy also had an impressive showing at the ITA All-Americans, advancing through qualifying and making a run to the main draw quarterfinals before losing to the eventual champion.
- Cash went a perfect 6-0 on the opening weekend of the fall at the Southern Intercollegiates in Athens, Ga.
- Andrew Lutschaunig and James Trotter had an impressive run through the doubles draw of the ATP Tennis Ohio Championship, making the final and finishing runner-up.
- Ohio State has five players in the ITA singles and doubles rankings to start the season. Transfer Matej Vocel leads the way in the singles rankings at No. 20. Junior Cannon Kingsley checks in at No. 65 while James Trotter is No. 87 and JJ Tracy is No. 99.
- The doubles team of Vocel and Robert Cash begin the season ranked No. 40.