BLACKSBURG, Va. – The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both lead Virginia Tech after the first day of a two-day dual meet. The men are ahead, 86-81, and the women have a commanding lead, 104.5-43.5.
Men’s Meet Notes
- The relay team of James Ward, Ruslan Gaziev, Jack Burroughs and Alex Quach placed first in the 200 free relay with a time of 1:19.13.
- Thomas Watkins placed second in the 200 IM, finishing the event in 1:47.39. Tristan Jankovics was just over two seconds behind Watkins, placing fourth with a time of 1:49.49.
- Charlie Clark took first in the 500 free, finishing about seven seconds ahead of the second-place finisher, fellow Buckeye Fabio Dalu. Clark had a time of 4:22.72 and Dalu finished in 4:29.24.
- Karl Helmuth swam the 100 breast in 55.41 for a second place finish.
- Watkins won the 200 back with an NCAA B cut time of 1:44.04.
- Gaziev (43.58), Quach (43.72) and Ward (43.88) placed second, third and fourth, respectively, in the 100 free. Gaziev’s time is an NCAA B Standard time.
- Chachi Gustafson finished first in the 200 fly with a time of 1:48.64. Jean-Pierre Khouzam placed second with a time of 1:48.68.
- Lyle Yost’s score of 396.23 in the 3-meter dive earned him a second-place finish and is an NCAA Zones qualifying score.
- The Buckeyes placed second in the 400 medley relay, with the team of Watkins, Helmuth, Quach and Gaziev finishing the event in 3:11.15.
Women’s Meet Notes
- The women opened the meet with a win in the 200 free relay. The relay team of Amy Fulmer, Katherine Zenick, Nyah Funderburke and Teresa Ivan finished the relay in 1:30.09.
- Felicia Pasadyn earned a win in the 200 IM with a time of 2:00.55.
- Maya Geringer placed first in the 500 free, finishing in 4:54.65. Gwen Woodbury placed third in the event with a time of 4:56.46.
- Ohio State took the top three spots in the 100 breast; Josephine Panitz finished first (1:00.48), Leah Baker placed second (1:04.06) and Reese Dehen finished third (1:04.07). Panitz’s time is an NCAA B Standard time.
- Pasadyn placed second in the 200 back with an NCAA B cut time of 1:57.04. Paige Hall finished third (1:59.33) and Tristan Harrison placed fourth (1:59.84).
- Fulmer tied for first place in the 100 free with an NCAA B Standard time of 49.21. Zenick placed second (50.05) and Ivan placed third (50.16).
- Aislinn Walsh (2:00.89), Morgan Kraus (2:01.95) and Kyra Sommerstad (2:03.90) earned the top-three finishes in the 200 fly.
- Mackenzie Crawford placed second in the 1-meter dive with a score of 294.45, which is an NCAA Zones qualifying score.
- The relay team of Funderburke, Panitz, Zenick and Fulmer won the 400 medley relay with a time of 3:38.82.