April 14, 2017
COLUMBUS, Ohio – After facing their eighth Big Ten opponent and hosting their 15th home match, the No. 2 Ohio State Buckeyes remain undefeated in both categories as they defeated Minnesota 6-1 Friday evening.
The win puts the Buckeyes at 23-3 on the year and 8-0 in conference play. The No. 31 Gophers drop to 15-7 on the year, and 4-4 in conference play.
Doubles started out pretty evenly for both sides, but the Buckeyes eventually found their rhythm. Hugo Di Feo and Martin Joyce were first to finish for OSU, winning four straight games to defeat Justyn Levin and Josip Krstanovic 6-2. JJ Wolf and Hunter Tubert were right behind, also winning their last four games to defeat Stefan Milicevic and Eli Ogilvy 6-2, clinching the doubles point for the Buckeyes. Mikael Torpegaard and Herkko Pollanen were tied 4-4 with Matic Spec and Felix Corwin when the doubles point was clinched.
In singles, Kyle Seelig continued his strong run, and was the first to win for Ohio State with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Krstanovic. This puts Seelig at 18-2 in dual match play, and he has not dropped a set in the last seven matches. Torpegaard then defeated his 18th ranked opponent of the year, winning 6-4, 6-4 against Matic Spec. He continues his undefeated run, going 22-0 in dual match play. Hugo Di Feo sealed it for the Scarlet and Gray with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Stefan Milicevic. Di Feo is on a solid run as well, having won eight straight matches, and not dropping a set in the last seven.
The other three matches were played out and were much closer. Martin Joyce went three sets against Marino Alpeza. Joyce got hot in the third set, getting two breaks to lead 5-1. He then gave up a break, but maintained his composure to eventually win 6-3, 2-6, 6-4. Minnesota then got its first point of the day as JJ Wolf dropped his match to Felix Corwin 7-5, 7-6 (7-5). Pollanen finished strong for the Buckeyes, winning both of his sets in tiebreakers to defeat Eli Ogilby 7-6 (7-3), 7-6 (10-8).
Up next for the Buckeyes is their final home regular season match of the year against No. 29 Wisconsin. That day is Senior Day, and Herkko Pollanen and Hugo Di Feo will be honored for their careers with the Buckeyes after the match.
1. #1 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) def. #74 Matic Spec (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
2. Felix Corwin (MINN) def. #65 JJ Wolf (OSU) 7-5, 7-6 (7-5)
3. #7 Hugo Di Feo (OSU) def. Stefan Milicevic (MINN) 6-3, 6-3
4. #108 Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Eli Ogilvy (MINN) 7-6 (7-3), 7-6 (10-8)
5. Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Josip Krstanovic (MINN) 6-2, 6-3
6. Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Marino Alpeza (MINN) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
1. #9 Mikael Torpegaard/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) vs. Matic Spec/Felix Corwin (MINN) 4-4, unfinished
2. #26 Martin Joyce/Hugo Di Feo (OSU) def. Justyn Levin/Josip Krstanovic (MINN) 6-2
3. Hunter Tubert/JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Stefan Milicevic/Eli Ogilvy (MINN) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,1,3,6,2,4)