COLUMBUS, Ohio – Members of the Ohio State women’s tennis team are heading to warmer climates this week. Irina Cantos Siemers and Sydni Ratliff will be in San Diego, Calif., for the ITA National Fall Championships, while another contingent will travel to Tempe, Ariz., for the ASU Thunderbird Invitational.
ITA Fall National Championships
- The ITA Fall National Championships includes 32 singles players and a 32-team doubles draw.
- Live scoring and streaming for the tournament can be found online HERE.
- The tournament starts Thursday with one round of both singles and doubles and runs through Sunday. There will also be a consolation draw in both singles and doubles.
- Irina Cantos Siemers earned a spot in the singles tournament as a finalist for the ITA Midwest Regional singles title.
- Cantos Siemers and Ratliff paired up to win the regional doubles title and secure their spot in the fall championships.
- Cantos Siemers started the year ranked seventh nationally. An All-American last year, she is 9-4 so far this fall. She won four matches – including three in three sets – at ITA Midwest Regionals before falling in the final in three sets.
- In doubles, Cantos Siemers and Ratliff were 4-0 in the regional tournament, including two wins over Top 30 ranked teams. In the final, the Buckeye tandem rolled 8-1 to clinch its spot.
ASU Thunderbird Invitational
- Four Buckeyes are making the trip to Tempe, Ariz., for the ASU Thunderbird Invitational hosted by the Sun Devils.
- Live scoring for the tournament will be HERE.
- Isabelle Boulais, Kolie Allen, Luna Dormet and Lucia Marzal are slated to represent the Buckeyes in the tournament.
- The squad last played in ASU’s fall tournament in 2019. Of the current Buckeyes, Irina Cantos Siemers was a freshman on that squad and posted two singles wins in the tourney.
- As a team, the Buckeyes last played on the Sun Devils’ home courts Feb. 23, 2019, a 4-3 Buckeye victory.
Buckeye This and That
- A group of Buckeyes traveled to South Carolina last week for the Gamecock Shootout.
- Lucia Marzal was recognized as the winner for No. 1 singles (based on one spot in the lineup) with a 2-0 record and she was first overall with a 3-0 record combined from playing in any of the top three spots, adding a win at No. 2. Sydni Ratliff tied for second with a 2-0 record, with one win at the top spot and one at No. 2. The tandem of Ratliff and Isabelle Boulais was 2-0 at the No. 1 spot to finish third in combined doubles record.
- Madeline Atway leads the Buckeyes with a 12-4 record this fall, with Irina Cantos Siemers second with nine wins and Lucia Marzal and Sydni Ratliff tied for third with eight victories each and Lina Ali next with seven wins. In doubles, Cantos Siemers and Ratliff lead the way with a 6-1 mark.
- The tournaments this weekend close out the Buckeyes’ fall schedule.
- The Buckeyes’ next home matches are slated for Jan. 28-30 when Ohio State hosts LSU, Tennessee and Oklahoma State for ITA Kickoff Weekend.