COLUMBUS, Ohio – Members of the Ohio State fencing program will travel to University Park, Pa., this weekend for the Penn State Garret Open.
The Garret Open includes women’s events Saturday and men’s event Sunday. Each day starts with foil at 8 a.m., followed by epee at 9:15 a.m. and then sabre at 12:30 p.m.
Live results will be available HERE. Competition will be at the Multi-Sport Building indoor track on the Penn State campus.
The Last PSU Open Trip
- Ohio State traveled to the Penn State Garret Open in Fall 2019.
- Current Buckeyes on the women’s squad who competed in the event that year include Evie Bustamante, Steph Miler and Ariel Gluck in sabre, Kristen Ruscitelli in epee and Camilla Rivano in foil. Rivano led that group with a fifth-place finish.
- For the men, Hudson Santana, Roscoe Swartz, Stephen Chou, Jadon Montgomery and Shanvanth Arnipalli were in sabre, Henry Lange, Bence Bende, Matthew Comes competed in epee and Nathan Wriedt, Will Gaziano, James Flanagan and Jacob Gordon in the foil competition.
- Lange posted a second-place finish, while Santana and Bence Bende both tied for third to lead the returnees.
Buckeye This and That
- At the USA Fencing North American Cup in St. Louis last weekend, Buckeye Henry Lange won gold in men’s epee. Nolan Williams placed seventh in men’s sabre and alumna Eleanor Harvey was the silver medalist in women’s foil, with Camilla Rivano ninth.
- The Buckeyes last competed as a team Oct. 3 in the OSU Duals, with both the men’s and women’s teams going 5-0.
- Ohio State also hosted the OSU Open Oct. 2. The Buckeye women had 13 Top 8 finishers, with freshmen Eva Mazur (epee) and Eleonore Perrier (sabre) and senior Camilla Rivano (foil) all winning gold. For the men, nine Buckeyes placed in the Top 8, with Nolan Williams (sabre) and Henry Lange (epee) finishing first and Nathan Wriedt notching a runner-up finish.
- Ohio State will host the Elite Invitational Duals Dec. 4-5 in French Field House in Columbus to wrap up collegiate competitions for this calendar year.
- The squad will travel to St. John’s Jan. 22, UPenn Jan. 23 and Northwestern Feb. 5-6 for dual meets before postseason competition begins.