Box Score | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
TEMPE, Ariz. – The bats were hot and the pitching was stellar as the Ohio State softball team (8-7) earned a 13-0 five-inning win over Wright State (7-11) on Saturday morning at Farrington Stadium during its second day at the ASU Invitational. The Buckeyes have won their last four games and have back-to-back shutouts.
The Buckeyes were clicking on all cylinders offensively. Ohio State earned season highs in hits (16), runs scored (13) and RBI (12). Seven of the 16 hits were for extra bases – four doubles, two triples and one home run.
IN THE CIRCLE
RHP Skylar Hayward (1-1) picked up her first win of the season after five innings of work. She only allowed two hits and one walk while striking out a career-high six batters. She closed the fifth inning with consecutive swinging strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ohio State came out swinging to quickly put two runs on the board in the opening frame. Meg Otte had a leadoff single and Andi Farrah followed up with a RBI triple. With two outs, Niki Carver brought Farrah in on a single.
- The Buckeyes went through the entire lineup and exploded for seven runs on eight hits in the second inning. Claire Nicholson started things with a single and moved to third base on a sacrifice bunt and groundout. Otte sent her in with a single up the middle, followed by an RBI double by Farrah and RBI single from Avery Clark.
- Ashley Prange kept the hits coming with a single before Carver roped a RBI double, Kaitlyn Coffman connected on a two-RBI triple and Nicholson had a RBI single for a 9-0 lead.
- Wright State’s error at shortstop gave Carver time to sprint home in the fourth.
- Staring down two outs in the fifth, pinch hitter Sam Hackenbracht crushed a solo home run over the scoreboard for her first dinger as a Buckeye. Taylor Pack added an RBI double to the mix and a pitch hit Carley Gaskill while the bases were loaded for the final 13-0 mark.
- Ohio State scored all seven of its runs in the second inning with two outs.
- As a team, the Buckeyes hit .516 with a .871 slugging clip and held the Raiders to a .125 batting average.
- Ohio State batted .533 with runners in scoring position and .722 with two outs.
- Ten players record a hit for OSU, including six with two hits.
- Niki Carver went 2-for-2, scored twice and drove in two runs.
- Avery Clark is riding an eight-game hitting streak and had her 10th outing with two hits.
- Ohio State improved to 31-1 all-time against Wright State.
The Buckeyes will play Oregon State for the second time this weekend at 5 p.m. ET on Saturday. The team will also face No. 17/15 Arizona State at 10 p.m. ET.