March 11, 2018

Buckeyes Fall To UMass In Overtime


March 11, 2018

Final Stats

RELATED INFO: Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram | 2018 Schedule

READING, Pa. — The Ohio State University women’s lacrosse team controlled most of its game against the University of Massachusetts on Sunday, but could not withstand a late rally from the Minutewomen, falling in overtime by a score of 14-13 at Gene L. Shirk Stadium on the campus of Albright College.

Jill Rizzo had another huge day in net for OSU, making a career high 23 saves. Her previous high came earlier this season when she tallied 17 saves against then No. 10 Navy in the season opener.

The Buckeyes came out on fire as Baley Parrott scored less than a minute into the game to give them a 1-0 lead. Only 80 seconds passed before Sara Dickinson found the back of the net to give OSU a 2-0 lead with 27:45 to play in the opening half. Molly Wood added to the lead just over two minutes later with her first goal of the game to briefly give The Buckeyes an early 3-0 lead. UMass got on the board shortly after that with a goal from Hannah Burnett, but McKayla Conti had a response of her own to push the Ohio State lead back to three, 4-1, with 21:44 left in the half.

Massachusetts fired back, this time with a Stephanie Croke goal, to make it 4-2 OSU before Conti scored her second goal of the day to give the Buckeyes the 5-2 lead. A second Burnett goal cut the Ohio State lead back down to two, 5-3, but Dickinson quickly fired a response shot into the back of the UMass net to give the Buckeyes a 6-3 lead they’d take into halftime. Rizzo finished the first half with 14 saves.

Lindsay Epstein opened the scoring in the second half, giving the Buckeyes a 7-3 lead with her fifth goal of the season. From there the Minutewomen rattled off three unanswered goals, two from Kiley Anderson, and Burnett’s third for the day, to cut the OSU lead to one, 7-6. With Ohio State on the ropes, Dickinson notched the first hat trick of her career to give the Buckeyes some breathing room and an 8-6 lead.

The Minutewomen’s Holly Turner scored to cut the lead back to one, 8-7, before Parrott and Conti netted back-to-back goals to gives OSU another three-goal lead, 10-7. Goals from Kaitlyn Cerasi and Croke once again brought UMass within one, 10-9, but Wood scored two unanswered goals to put the Buckeyes up 12-9 with 7:23 to play in regulation. UMass used those final seven minutes of regulation to stage a furious rally, using goals from Cerasi, Turner, and Cassidy Doster to tie the game at 12-12 with 1:47 to play. As overtime loomed, Conti buried a shot in the back of the Massachusetts net to give the Buckeyes a 13-12 lead with only 20 seconds left on the clock. As time ticked away, Cerasi fired a shot into the OSU net to force overtime. In the extra period UMass took possession, and used Burnett’s fourth goal of the game to hand OSU a 14-13 loss.

In addition to her career high 23 saves, Rizzo scooped up two ground balls. Conti finished with four goals, tied for the game high. Dickinson snagged two ground balls in addition to her career high three goals. Wood had another balanced game, coming away with three goals, two ground balls, two caused turnovers and four draw controls. The senior now sits six draw controls away from first place in program history. Epstein led the team in ground balls on the day with three to go along with her goal. Shannon Rosati tied Wood with four draw controls in the game, she also had two ground balls and one caused turnover. Parrott finished with two goals, two ground balls, three draw controls and one caused turnover.

The Buckeyes return to Columbus for their first home game in nearly a month when they take on the UConn Huskies on Wednesday.