COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 30 Ohio State women’s tennis team (16-6, 3-3 Big Ten) fell to rival No. 3-ranked Michigan (17-3, 7-0 Big Ten) 6-1 Sunday afternoon in Ann Arbor, Mich.
The Wolverines took two of three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. The 36th-ranked duo of Whitney Taney and Rika Tatsuno downed Ohio State’s Kelsey Haviland and Cami Hubbs at the top position, 8-5.
Paloma Escobedo and Christina Keesey notched a win for the Buckeyes after defeating Mimi Nguyen and Michelle Sulahian, 8-6, on the second court. The tandem is now 6-0 in conference matches this season.
Michigan took the doubles point after Denise Muresan and Tania Mahtani came from behind for an 8-5 win against Buckeye freshmen Gabby Steele and Fidan Manashirova at No. 3.
In singles, Sulahian earned a straight sets win over Manashirova, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 6. Tatsuno followed in similar fashion, taking a 6-4, 6-4 decision against Haviland at the third position.
The story was the same on court four as Michigan’s Nguyen finished with a 6-4, 6-4 victory against Steele, ending the Buckeye’s seven-match win streak.
On court one, No. 66 Kirsten Flower and No. 25 Muresan battled to a third set, but Muresan proved victorious, taking the match, 6-1, 3-6, 6-1. At No. 5 Keesey also fell in three sets as Mahtani came from a set down to win, 1-6, 6-3, 7-5.
Escobedo provided the lone point for the Buckeyes after defeating Taney in three sets, 6-3, 5-7, 6-3, at No. 2.
The Buckeyes remain on the road next weekend as they travel to Champaign, Ill., to face the Fighting Illini Saturday before heading to Bloomington, Ind., to face off with the Indiana Hoosiers Sunday afternoon.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs University of Michigan
Apr 11, 2010 at Ann Arbor, Mich.
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#3 University of Michigan 6, #30 Ohio State 1
1. #25 Denise Muresan (MICH) def. #66 Kirsten Flower (OSU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
2. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Whitney Taney (MICH) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
3. Rika Tatsuno (MICH) def. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Mimi Nguyen (MICH) def. Gabby Steele (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Tania Mahtani (MICH) def. Christina Keesey (OSU) 1-6, 6-3, 7-5
6. Michelle Sulahian (MICH) def. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) 6-3, 6-3
1. #36 Rika Tatsuno/Whitney Taney (MICH) def. Kelsey Haviland/Cami Hubbs (OSU) 8-5
2. Christina Keesey/Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Mimi Nguyen/Michelle Sulahian (MICH) 8-6
3. Denise Muresan/Tania Mahtani (MICH) def. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) 8-5
Ohio State 16-6, 3-3 Big Ten; National ranking #30
University of Michigan 17-3, 7-0 Big Ten; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,3,4,1,5,2)