COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s tennis team lost to No. 12-ranked Northwestern, 4-1, Saturday in the semifinals of the Big Ten Tournament in Minneapolis. The No. 1 seed Wildcats (21-4) advance to Sunday’s championship game.
The Buckeyes, now 14-8, await a possible at-large bid to the NCAA Championship. The 64-team tournament field will be announced at 5 p.m. Tuesday on NCAA.com.
The Wildcats claimed the doubles point. Northwestern posted a 6-0 win on court three, with Julie Byrne and Rheeya Doshi topping Danielle Wolf and Emma DeCoste.
The No. 4-ranked duo of Erin Larner and Maddie Lipp clinched the doubles point for the Wildcats, as they defeated No. 33-ranked Anna Sanford and Shiori Fukuda, 6-3.
The match on court two between Buckeyes Olivia Sneed and Mary Beth Hurley and No. 36-ranked Lee Or and Alex Chatt was suspended with the teams tied at three.
Northwestern went ahead 2-0 when Julie Byrne defeated Emma DeCoste, 6-1, 6-0, on court four and posted its third point when Rheeya Doshi won 6-1, 6-4, over Mary Beth Hurley on court six.
Senior Olivia Sneed put the Buckeyes on the board, coming from behind for a three-set win on court three over No. 121-ranked Lee Or. The Buckeye lost the first set, 6-3, but won the second, 6-2, and prevailed in the third, 6-1.
The Wildcats clinched the win with a 6-4, 6-4 victory by Alex Chatt on court five over Danielle Wolf.
The matches on courts one and two were unfinished. Buckeye senior Anna Sanford, ranked 55th, was in a third set vs. No. 37 Erin Larner. Sanford lost the first 6-1 but won the second, 6-3. Larner was ahead 4-3 in the third in the court one matchup.
On court two, No. 99 Shiori Fukuda won the first set in a tiebreaker and was leading the second 4-1 vs. No. 78 Maddie Lipp.
Ohio State vs Northwestern
Apr 28, 2018 at Minneapolis, Minn.
(Baseline Tennis Center)
#12 Northwestern 4, #28 Ohio State 1
1. #37 Erin Larner (NU) vs. #55 Anna Sanford (OSU) 6-1, 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
2. #78 Maddie Lipp (NU) vs. #99 Shiori Fukuda (OSU) 6-7, 1-4, unfinished
3. Olivia Sneed (OSU) def. #121 Lee Or (NU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Julie Byrne (NU) def. Emma DeCoste (OSU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Alex Chatt (NU) def. Danielle Wolf (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Rheeya Doshi (NU) def. Mary Beth Hurley (OSU) 6-1, 6-4
1. #4 Erin Larner/Maddie Lipp (NU) def. #33 Anna Sanford/Shiori Fukuda (OSU) 6-3
2. #36 Lee Or/Alex Chatt (NU) vs. Olivia Sneed/Mary Beth Hurley (OSU) 3-3, unfinished
3. Julie Byrne/Rheeya Doshi (NU) def. Danielle Wolf/Emma DeCoste (OSU) 6-0
Ohio State 14-8; National ranking #28
Northwestern 21-4; National ranking #12
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,6,3,5)
Big Ten Tournament semifinals
Ohio State No. 4 seed, Northwestern No. 1 seed