COLUMBUS, Ohio – The fourth seed Ohio State men’s tennis team fell short in the semifinal round of the NCAA Championship to eight seed Kentucky 4-1 on Saturday at the Atkins Tennis Center in Champaign, Ill.
The match was moved indoors because of rain and thunderstorms in the area on Saturday morning.
Both Kentucky and Ohio State lost the doubles point in their previous quarterfinal round victories and the Buckeyes saw little Wildcat resistance on their path to the doubles win. Cannon Kingsley and JJ Tracy never lost momentum in their match and cruised to a 6-1 win. No. 2 ranked Matej Vocel and Robert Cash got out to an early 4-1 lead. No. 55 Hurrion/Musitelli found some life and fought back making it 5-3. However, Vocel and Cash defended the Wildcat rally and finished off the match 6-3 to clinch the doubles point for the Buckeyes.
In singles, the teams split the first sets with each side winning three of them. Kentucky them grabbed momentum in the second sets, winning all six, and rode it out to the win. Gabriel Diallo took down Matej Vocel 6-3, 6-2 on court two and Millen Hurrion beat JJ Tracy 6-1, 6-2. Jake Van Emburgh lost the first set to Francois Musitelli and put up a heck of a battle in the second set but eventually fell in a tiebreaker. The clinching point came on court one as No. 4 ranked Liam Draxl beat Cannon Kingsley in the third set 6-2.
This was the sixth national semifinal appearance for Ohio State which finishes another tremendous season at 28-4 overall. The Buckeyes also won their 15th Big Ten title and boast three All-Americans.
#4 Ohio State 1, #8 Kentucky 4
1. #4 Liam Draxl (UK) def. #9 Cannon Kingsley (OSU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. #21 Gabriel Diallo (UK) def. #13 Matej Vocel (OSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. #83 Millen Hurrion (UK) def. #19 JJ Tracy (OSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Francois Musitelli (UK) def. #117 Jake Van Emburgh (OSU) 6-4, 7-6 (4)
5. Justin Boulais (OSU) vs. #113 Joshua Lapadat (UK) 6-3, 1-6, 0-5, unfinished
6. Andrew Lutschaunig (OSU) vs. JJ Mercer (UK) 6-2, 6-7 (3), 1-3, unfinished
1. #2 Robert Cash/Matej Vocel (OSU) def. No. 55 Millen Hurrion/Francois Musitelli (UK) 6-3
2. Andrew Lutschaunig/Justin Boulais (OSU) vs. Gabriel Diallo/Joshua Lapadat (UK) 4-4, unfinished
3. Cannon Kingsley/JJ Tracy (OSU) def. Liam Draxl/Alexandre LeBlanc (UK) 6-1
Ohio State 28-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (2,3,4,1)