COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s lacrosse team lost a Big Ten game at No. 20 Penn State, 13-3, Saturday afternoon in University Park, Pa. The Buckeyes are now 4-7 (0-3 B1G), with the Nittany Lions 9-2 and 2-0 in conference play.
The Schedule Ahead
- The Buckeyes will return to Columbus for a mid-week matchup, hosting Louisville at 4 p.m. Tuesday.
- Road games at Marquette April 4 and No. 11 Maryland April 8 follow, before the regular season home finale vs. No. 3 Northwestern at 6 p.m. April 15. The regular season wraps up at No. 22 Rutgers April 20.
- Admission is free to all Ohio State women’s lacrosse regular season home games.
How it Happened
- Penn State opened the scoring at 10:06 of the first quarter with a free position goal. Two goals in less than a minute at 5:47 and 4:51 put the Nittany Lions ahead 3-0 and they carried that to the end of the first quarter.
- There were no goals scored in the second quarter until the 6:45 mark. Penn State added four in the final 4:08 of the half, including a tally with four seconds remaining, to lead 8-0 at the break.
- Ohio State’s Annie Hargraves converted a free position chance at 9:09 to open the scoring in the third quarter. Penn State notched the next two, at 8:25 and 4:12, for a 10-1 lead through 45 minutes.
- Hargraves notched her second of the day, set up by Ashley Turner, early in the fourth quarter. It was the first two-goal game in the Scarlet and Gray for Hargraves.
- The Nittany Lions had the next two goals before Nicole Ferrara found the back of the net on a free potion opportunity at 8:28. She now has a team-best 25 goals on the year. Penn State netted the game’s final goal with 3:29 remaining.
- The Buckeyes were outshot, 37-12, in the contest.
- Buckeye goalie Regan Alexander had 13 saves, one below her season best, including five in the third quarter. Penn State’s goalie had five stops.
- The Nittany Lions had the edge in draw controls, 13-7, and ground balls, 25-10. Alexander and Emily Magalotti led Ohio State with three ground balls each.