COLUMBUS, Ohio – For just the second time since 2003, the Ohio State men’s tennis lost at home. The Buckeyes fell 4-2 to Virginia in the championship match of the ITA Kickoff Weekend on Saturday.
Ohio State lost the doubles point, falling 6-4 on both courts two and three. But singles started well. The Buckeyes had leads on four of the six courts, but Virginia battled back at the start of the second sets in most matches to steal momentum right back. The Cavaliers rode that momentum to a rare victory in Columbus.
Individually for the Buckeyes, senior John McNally picked a win at No. 2 singles, rolling past Ryan Goetz 6-3, 6-2. It was McNally’s sixth singles win on the season against zero losses.
Freshman JJ Tracy battled back after losing the first set to Chris Roadesch to claim the biggest win of his young career, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2. He is now 5-2 on the season and 2-0 in the No. 5 spot.
The Buckeyes are awaiting word from the Big Ten on it’s conference schedule for the 2021 season.
#22 Virginia 4, #3 Ohio State 2
1. #5 Cannon Kingsley (OSU) vs. #29 Carl Soderlund (VA) 6-4, 3-6, 2-3, unfinished
2. #11 John McNally (OSU) def. Ryan Goetz (VA) 6-3, 6-2
3. #106 J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. #80 James Trotter (OSU) 6-4, 7-5
4. Inaki Montes (VA) def. #25 Kyle Seelig (OSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. JJ Tracy (OSU) def. Chris Roadesch (VA) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
6. Gianni Ross (VA) def. Robert Cash (OSU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
1. #4 John McNally/Robert Cash (OSU) vs. Carl Soderlund/William Woodall (VA) 5-4, unfinished
2. Ryan Goetz/Chris Roadesch (VA) def. #37 James Trotter/Justin Boulais (OSU) 6-4
3. J vd Schulenburg/Inaki Montes (VA) def. #51 Kyle Seelig/Cannon Kingsley (OSU) 6-4
Virginia 3-0; National ranking #22
Ohio State 1-1; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (2,4,3,5,6)
ITA Kickoff Weekend Championship Match
Official: Mark Anderson T-2:28 A-62