Ohio State vs. Xavier, Creighton
Dates: Sept. 3, Sept. 6
Times: 5 p.m. (both games)
Venue: Yeagley Field at Armstrong Stadium (6,100)
Watch: B1G+ Xavier| B1G+ Creighton
Live Stats: OhioStateBuckeyes.com
Game Notes: Ohio State |Xavier | Creighton
Rosters: Ohio State | Xavier | Creighton
Season Stats: Ohio State | Xavier | Creighton
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Brian Maisonneuve, head coach of the Buckeyes, returns to his alma mater (Indiana, 1994) this weekend to guide the Buckeyes in a pair of nonconference games at the IU Classic in Bloomington. Ohio State takes on Xavier at 5 p.m. Friday at Yeagley Field before facing Creighton Sept. 6 (5 p.m.).
- Sophomore Laurence Wootton and junior Channing Chasten were named to the 2021 Wolstein Classic All-Tournament Team after a 1-1 weekend for the Buckeyes last weekend. Ohio State defeated Memphis 3-2 behind two goals from Wootton, and fell to UAB in overtime 2-1 in the event.
- Senior Samuel Buzzas and sophomore Laurence Wootton were named captains of the 2021 Buckeyes Aug. 25.
- Sophomores Deylen Vellios and Laurence Wootton along with senior Xavier Green were named 2021 Big Ten Players to Watch Aug. 23 following a vote by the Big Ten Coaches prior to the season.
- Ohio State returns all 12 players with points from the 2021 Spring season, including all eight goal scorers.
- Wootton and Parker Grinstead led the Buckeyes offensively last spring and both were members of the Big Ten All-Freshman team. Wootton was named First Team All-Big Ten and was named the league’s 2021 Freshman of the Year.
- Three Buckeyes elected to use the extra year of eligibility afforded by the NCAA because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Samuel Buzzas, Joe Ortiz and Noah Lawrence return to the Ohio State roster for the extra year.
- Maisonneuve was associate head coach at Indiana University, guiding the team to the 2012 NCAA national title. He was a member of the Columbus Crew from 1996-2004.
- The Buckeyes are 8-7-4 all-time vs. Xavier (Big East) and 1-2-0 vs. Creighton (Big East). The Buckeyes have not previously faced either team on a neutral field.
Check out Xavier preview and more:
News and Nuggets
- Academically in 2020-21, the Buckeyes placed 26 players on the OSU Scholar Athlete list, 16 were named Academic All-Big Ten and three were named Big Ten Distinguished Scholar list.
- Keagan McLaughlin begins his Ohio State career following a transfer from Notre Dame after three years in an Irish uniform. The Zanesville, Ohio, native will battle for playing time at the keeper position.
- Newcomers Chris Dowling, Tommaso Villa, Anthony Samways, Nathan Demian and Joakim Jahnsen all played for the first time as Buckeyes last weekend in the Wolstein Classic.