Ohio State at Michigan State
Date: Oct. 17
Time: 2 p.m.
Venue: Old College Field at DeMartin Stadium (2,000)
Live Stats: OhioStateBuckeyes.com | MSU Live Stats
Game Notes: Ohio State | Michigan State
Rosters: Ohio State | Michigan State
Season Stats: Ohio State | Michigan State
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State (4-7-1, 0-4-0) concludes a stretch of three games in the last four on the road when the Buckeyes travel to Michigan State(5-6-2, 1-2-2) Sunday to face the Spartans at DeMartin Stadium in East Lansing.
- Follow live stats at OhioStateBuckeyes.com. The game will be televised live on The Big Ten Network.
- Ohio State freshmen Nathan Demian and Anthony Samways were named to the TopDrawerSoccer Top 100 Freshmen list (midseason). Demian, a defender from British Columbia, was ranked No. 36 nationally while Samways, a midfielder from Loveland, Ohio, came in at No. 62.
- Ohio State is playing its fourth season under head coach Brian Maisonneuve.
- Maisonneuve was associate head coach at Indiana University, guiding the team to the 2012 NCAA national title. He was a member of the Columbus Crew from 1996-2004.
- The Buckeyes played host to Wisconsin last Friday and fell to the Badgers 2-0. The Badgers scored late in the first half and then added an insurance goal in the 90th in the win. The Buckeyes were not able to solve the Wisconsin defense on 13 total shots as the Badgers posted their fourth-consecutive shutout.
- Trailing 1-0 in the 88th minute, senior Devyn Etling, who was making his first start of the fall season, headed in a long cross from sophomore Owen Sullivan to send the game vs. No. 17 Bowling Green into overtime. After senior keeper Keagan McLaughlin stopped a Falcon PK attempt, senior Xavier Green scored in the 106′ for the game winner in double OT last Wednesday.
- With the 2-1 (2ot) win over No. 17 Bowling Green, Ohio State is 3-1 vs. Ohio teams this year following shutouts of both Cleveland State (2-0) and No. 7 Akron (1-0) and a loss to Xavier (2-1).
- Sophomores Deylen Vellios and Laurence Wootton along with senior Xavier Green were named 2021 Big Ten Players to Watch Aug. 23 following a vote by the Big Ten Coaches prior to the season. Wootton leads the Buckeyes with nine points. Green is next with five.
- Ohio State returned all 12 players with points from the 2021 Spring season, including all eight goal scorers.
Wootton and Parker Grinstead led the Buckeyes offensively last spring and both were members of the Big Ten All-Freshman team.
- Wootton was named First Team All-Big Ten and was named the league’s 2021 Freshman of the Year.
Three Buckeyes elected to use the extra year of eligibility afforded by the NCAA because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Samuel Buzzas, Joe Ortiz and Noah Lawrence return to the Ohio State roster for the extra year.
- Ohio State started the season with a 1-1 record in the annual Wolstein Classic on the Ohio State campus. The Buckeyes defeated Memphis 3-2 and fell to UAB 2-1 in overtime. Laurence Wootton and Channing Chasten earned All-Tournament honors.
Michigan State Spartans
Oct. 17 / 2 p.m. / East Lansing, Michigan
Location: East Lansing, Michigan
Home Field: DeMartin Soccer Complex (2,500)
Head Coach: Damon Rensing
Career Record: 129-90-35 (13 yrs.)
Record at School: 129-90-35 (13 yrs.)
2021 Spring Record: 4-7-0, 4-6-0 (Big Ten)
OSU Series Record: 23-28-3
(H: 14-9-1; A: 7-14-2; N: 2-5-0)
Last Meeting: 3/3/21, W, 2-0, East Lansing