ORLANDO, Fla. – The No. 3-ranked Ohio State men’s tennis team found themselves in a dogfight against the No. 6-ranked Georgia Bulldogs on a hot and humid Friday afternoon. The Buckeyes proved to be the better team as they advanced with a 4-3 win. The match between the two perennial contenders, initially scheduled for Thursday night, was postponed due to severe weather and rain in the Orlando area.
Georgia would take an early lead after securing the doubles point but the Buckeyes would not let up and scraped for four singles wins. Those four wins were earned by James Trotter, Jack Anthrop, Cannon Kingsley, and a thrilling victory from freshman Alexander Bernard to seal the victory.
Ohio State (33-2) has now won 18-consectutive matches heading into the NCAA semifinal matchup with TCU. This is the Buckeyes seventh trip to the semifinals under head coach Ty Tucker.
#3 Ohio State 4, #6 Georgia 3
1. #2 Ethan Quinn (UGA) def. #24 Justin Boulais (OSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. #11 Cannon Kingsley (OSU) def. #19 Philip Henning (UGA) 6-4, 7-5
3. Trent Bryde (UGA) def. #22 JJ Tracy (OSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. #34 James Trotter (OSU) def. Blake Croyder (UGA) 6-2, 6-2
5. #41 Alexander Bernard (OSU) def. Miguel Perez Peña (UGA) 6-4, 7-5
6. Jack Anthrop (OSU) def. Teodor Giusca (UGA) 6-4, 6-0
1. #6 Ethan Quinn/Trent Bryde (UGA) def. #21 Robert Cash/Justin Boulais (OSU) 6-3
2. #16 James Trotter/Andrew Lutschaunig (OSU) vs. Philip Henning/Teodor Giusca (UGA) 4-4, unfinished
3. Blake Croyder/Brotton Johnson (UGA) def. Cannon Kingsley/JJ Tracy (OSU) 6-3
Georgia 23-7; National ranking #6
Ohio State 33-2; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,1,6,3,2,5)
NCAA Tournament Quarterfinal