COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State softball team dropped a 10-3 decision to No. 21/18 Michigan in the series opener at Buckeye Field on Friday night. The Buckeyes fall to 24-13 (8-4 B1G) while the Wolverines improve to 28-10 (10-0 B1G).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Facing two outs, Bri Betschel and Lilli Piper both found gaps in the defense for a pair of hits in the bottom of the third. Emily Clark drove the ball to center field to plate Betschel and give the Buckeyes a 1-0 lead.
- Michigan went ahead 4-1 in the top of the fourth on a RBI grounder, triple and two-run homer by Katie Alexander.
- Claire Nicholson responded for Ohio State in the home half on a two-run dinger, cutting the deficit to 4-3.
- The Wolverines had a RBI sacrifice fly in the fifth and another home run by Alexander in the sixth.
- Haley Hoogenraad’s grand slam in the seventh made for the final 10-3 tally.
IN THE CIRCLE
RHP Lauren Rice (14-3) was charged with the loss after four innings on work. She gave up four runs on five hits and struck out one. Morgan Ray tossed 2.2 innings of relief, allowing six runs and five hits with one strikeout. Skylar Hayward let in one hit during 0.1 innings.
- Claire Nicholson connected on her fourth home run of the season.
- Emily Clark was 2-for-3 with an RBI.
- Niki Carver recorded 11 putouts and Piper had seven assists.
- Lilli Piper has successfully gotten on base in 14 consecutive games.
Ohio State and Michigan return to Buckeye Field for a doubleheader Saturday beginning at 2 p.m.