COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Ohio State men’s hockey team lost at No. 13 Michigan, 2-1, Saturday in Yost Ice Arena in Ann Arbor, Mich. The loss is the Buckeyes’ second one-goal defeat this weekend, giving the Wolverines the series sweep after a 3-2 victory Friday. 
Michigan (19-9-4, 16-7-1-0 CCHA) took a 1-0 lead over the Buckeyes (14-15-2, 9-13-2-2 CCHA) with a goal in the first period and extended the edge to 2-0 1:20 into the second stanza. Buckeye junior Cory Schneider scored shorthanded late in the second period to cut the lead to one but Ohio State could get no closer. Buckeye junior goalie Cal Heeter had 30 saves in the game, including 16 in the first period. 
The series marked the final regular-season road games for Ohio State. The squad will return home to host series with Lake Superior State next weekend (Feb. 18-19) and Ferris State the following week (Thursday/Friday, Feb. 24-25). The Buckeye senior class will be honored during the series with the Lakers. 
Luke Moffatt scored on a backhand from just outside the crease, with an assist from A.J. Treais, at 10:39 of the first period to open the scoring. Michigan controlled play in the opening stanza, outshooting the Buckeyes, 17-7. 
Chris Brown scored his second goal of the weekend 1:20 into the second period, flicking a pass from Carl Hagelin from behind the net over Heeter. With the Buckeyes killing a penalty, Schneider won the faceoff forward and raced ahead of the Wolverines to the puck. He skated in alone on UM goalie Shawn Hunwick and beat him high with a backhand for his first career shorthanded goal and fourth tally of the season. Schneider kept it a one-goal game late in the period. With Ohio State on the penalty kill in the final 30 seconds of the period, he was able to cover the net and deflect a Wolverine attempt that was going into the Buckeye net with Heeter on the other side of the cage. Shots were 11-9 in favor of Ohio State in the period. 
The teams had just 11 combined shots in the third period, with Heeter stopping six and Hunwick making five saves. Brown was called for a checking from behind major penalty 2:10 into the stanza, but the Buckeyes were unable to get a shot through during the five-minute advantage. Heeter made an outstanding save on Ben Winnett’s breakaway during the power-play chance to keep it a one-goal game. With just under two minutes remaining the Buckeyes pulled goalie for the extra attacker, but Michigan held strong. 
Heeter, who leads the nation in minutes played and is third in saves, played 58:02 in the contest and had 30 stops. Hunwick was in net for all 60 minutes and had 22 saves. Michigan outshot Ohio State, 32-23, in the game. 
Both teams ended the weekend scoreless on the power play, with Ohio State 0-for-2 in each game. The Buckeyes held Michigan scoreless on five opportunities in the second game of the weekend.