COLLEGE PARK, Md. – The Ohio State women’s lacrosse team suffered a tough loss to the No. 2 Maryland Terrapins on Saturday afternoon at Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium, falling in the conference opener, 16-1. The Buckeyes are now 6-3 on the season and 0-1 in B1G play. Maryland improves to 8-0, 1-0 B1G.
THE SHORT STORY
Maryland got on the board early and often, finishing the first half with 12 unanswered goals. While the Buckeyes found a scoring opportunity in the second and was able to hold the Terps to just four goals, the offense couldn’t find the back of the net to catch up to the No. 2 Maryland team. Junior goalie Jill Rizzo made 13 saves in the effort, and senior Caroline Mackrides led the team with three caused turnovers and three ground balls.
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED
• Kali Hartshorn began the scoring frenzy for the Terrapins with a goal at 27:35 to take the lead. Hartshorn totaled six points in the first with five goals and an assist.
• Maryland goalie Megan Taylor denied all nine of Ohio State’s shots in the first frame, including a free-position opportunity for freshman Chloe Johnson at 12:01.
• In the second half, Maryland continued to lay it on with two quick goals in the first three minutes of the half.
• Senior Sara Dickinson found the lone goal for Ohio State at 22:57, with help from freshman Maura McGregor.
• The Terps then added another pair of goals, but the Buckeyes were able to keep the Terps off the board for the remaining 15 minutes of the second half.
THIS AND THAT
• Sara Dickinson scored her 13th goal of the season.
• Freshman Maura McGregor has scored a point in two straight games, assisting on the Dickinson goal.
• The Buckeyes caused nine turnovers, led by three from senior Caroline Mackrides.
• Mackrides also led the team in ground balls with three.
• Senior Baley Parrott was credited with four draw controls, a team-high.
JUST THE STATS
Leading Scorers: Sara Dickinson (1G), Maura McGregor (1A)
Shots: Ohio State 19, Maryland 34
Ground Balls: Ohio State 10, Maryland 19
Draw Controls: Ohio State 7, Maryland 12
Free Position Shots: Ohio State 0-of-1, Maryland 7-of-8
Saves: Ohio State (Rizzo) 13, Maryland (Taylor – 8, McSally – 4, Hine – 3) 15
Ohio State hosts Michigan on Thursday, March 21 at 7 p.m. The game will be broadcast live on the Big Ten Network.