MADISON, Wis. – The Ohio State women’s soccer team fell to No. 7 Wisconsin, 2-1, in its season finale Wednesday afternoon at McClimon Soccer Complex. With the loss, the Buckeyes conclude the season with a 4-10-4 record, 2-6-3 in Big Ten play. The regular-season conference champion Badgers improve to 14-2-2, 10-0-1 in conference play.
QUOTE FROM THE COACH
“The end of a season is always hard and very abrupt,” Lori Walker-Hock, Ohio State head coach, said. “The preparation is long and meticulous building and growing every day. Then it all just suddenly ends. This time is hardest for our three special seniors. Marike, Haley and Selina have each touched our program in so many ways over these last four seasons. We celebrate their collective body of work and appreciate all they have given of themselves to our team. Thank you, seniors.”
– Wisconsin opened the scoring in the 10th minute when a Lauren Rice corner from the left wing found the head of Cameron Murtha at the center of the six-yard box for the 1-0 Badger lead.
– Just 21 seconds later, the Buckeyes’ Kayla Fischer was able to respond with the equalizer on her a team-best fifth goal of the season. The sophomore made a run on the right wing and finished inside the left post past Wisconsin goalkeeper Jordyn Bloomer.
– However, Wisconsin answered right back in the 17 the minute when Dani Rhodes found the back of the net, earning her team-best 11th goal of the season and a 2-1 Badger lead.
– After the match remained 2-1 at the break, the Buckeyes continued to push forward looking for an equalizer after the half. Less than two minutes into the second half, Izzy Rodriguez ripped a left-footed free kick from 25 yards but it was right at Bloomer at the left post.
– In the 68th minute, Rhodes hit a left-footed shot from 15 yards but the Buckeyes’ Jordan Silkowitz made a leaping save to her right to keep it a one-goal game.
– In the 78th minute, Fischer made a run through the Badger defense and was able to hit a shot from the top of the 18 but Bloomer again was there for the save.
– Ohio State was able to play a couple balls into the box in the final minutes but the Buckeyes were unable to knot the score as the Badgers came away with the win.
– Marike Mousset played the full match once again and played all 1,720 minutes this season.
– Fischer’s goal was her team-high fifth of the year. The sophomore totaled a team-high 14 points in 2019.
– Ohio State’s senior class of Mousset, Haley Walker-Robinson and Selina Vickery completes their careers with 39 victories and a trio of NCAA Tournament appearances.
Shots: Wisconsin 12, Ohio State 7
Saves: Ohio State 5, Wisconsin 2
Shots on Goal: Wisconsin 7, Ohio State 3
Corner Kicks: Wisconsin 5, Ohio State 1
Match: Ohio State at No. 7 Wisconsin
Date: Oct. 30, 2019
Venue: McClimon Soccer Complex
Kickoff: 4 p.m. ET
Weather: Cloudy and 38 degrees
Scoring Summary 1 2 F
WIS 2 0 2
OSU 1 0 1