April 9, 2017
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State Buckeyes wrapped up weekend one of their two-weekend home stand with a 6-1 victory over Purdue.
Playing outside at the Varsity Tennis Courts for the first time, the Buckeye navigated a solid breeze to improve to 7-0 in conference play and 22-3 overall. Purdue drops to 14-11 on the year, and 2-4 in conference play.
Purdue came out fighting during the doubles matches. Hugo Di Feo and Martin Joyce started out quickly for OSU on court 2, earning two breaks against Benjamin Ugarte and Renan Hanayama. They gave up a break later, but held on to win 6-3. The other two matches were close throughout the set. In the end, Mikael Torpegaard and Herkko Pollanen got a break to go up 5-3, and held serve to earn the doubles point for the Buckeyes, defeating Gergely Madarasz and Ricky Medinilla 6-3.
Similar to the match against Indiana on Friday, the Buckeyes started out very strong initially in singles. They leveled off a bit, but still did not have much trouble in getting the victory. Kyle Seelig won first for the Buckeyes, defeating Hanayama 6-0, 6-3. This puts him at 16-2 on the season in dual match play. Pollanen was right behind with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Stephan Koenigsfest, putting Pollanen at 10-5 in dual match play. Torpegaard, in a familiar fashion for the season, clinched the win for the Buckeyes with a 7-6, 6-3 win over Madarasz. This gives Torpegaard his 17th ranked win of the year as he continues his undefeated run.
The rest of the matches were played out. Soon after the clinch, JJ Wolf defeated Medinilla 6-0, 7-5 to put OSU up 5-0. Martin Joyce then fell to Athell Bennett 6-4, 6-3 to give Purdue their only point of the day. Di Feo finished strong for the Buckeyes, coming back from 3-5 in the second set to defeat Urgate 6-4, 7-5.
The Buckeyes now prepare for their last two home matches of the regular season. They will face Minnesota on Friday and Wisconsin on Sunday, ranked 32 and 29 respectively. They have four more Big Ten teams to go as they attempt to repeat going undefeated in Big Ten conference play.
1. #1 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) def. #96 Gergely Madarasz (PUR_M) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
2. #81 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Ricky Medinilla (PUR_M) 6-0, 7-5
3. #7 Hugo Di Feo (OSU) def. Benjamin Ugarte (PUR_M) 6-4, 7-5
4. #101 Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Stephan Koenigsfest (PUR_M) 6-2, 6-2
5. Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Renan Hanayama (PUR_M) 6-0, 6-3
6. Athell Bennett (PUR_M) def. Martin Joyce (OSU) 6-4, 6-3
1. #20 Mikael Torpegaard/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. #16 Gergely Madarasz/Ricky Medinilla (PUR_M) 6-3
2. #35 Hugo Di Feo/Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Benjamin Ugarte/Renan Hanayama (PUR_M) 6-3
3. Hunter Tubert/Matt Mendez (OSU) vs. Stephan Koenigsfest/Athell Bennett (PUR_M) 3-5, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (5,4,1,2,6,3)