Box Score | Schedule | Roster | Season Stats
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 1 Ohio State women’s hockey team earned a 6-2 win over Minnesota State Friday night at the OSU Ice Rink. The Buckeyes (23-2-2, 18-2-1- WCHA) had nine players record a point while Jenn Gardiner and Paetyn Levis each tallied two goals to push the team past the Mavericks (13-14-0, 7-14-0 WCHA).
How it Happened
- Paetyn Levis lit the lamp at 6:40 into the game off an assist from Hadley Hartmetz. Hartmetz regained the puck in the Minnesota State zone and broke free behind the net. She sent the puck across the Maverick goal crease to Levis, who one-timed it past Minnesota State’s Lauren Barbro.
- Ohio State took the 1-0 lead into the first intermission and held a 12-3 edge in shots on goal.
- Minnesota State scored its first goal at 2:30 into the second period to even the game at one.
- Sophie Jaques regained the Buckeyes’ lead at 7:06 into the second frame, a lead which they would not surrender for the rest of the game. She was assisted by Madison Bizal and Jenna Buglioni. She took a shot from outside the faceoff circle and floated it past Barbro.
- Jenn Gardiner added Ohio State’s second goal of the period, scoring at 11:09. The Surrey, B.C. native fired a shot from the faceoff circle right of Barbo to light the lamp and give Ohio State a 3-1 lead. Bizal added her second assist of the day and Jaques was credited with a helper as well.
- After 40 minutes, Ohio State goaltender Quinn Kuntz had made nine saves and the Buckeyes continued their offensive pressure on the Mavericks with 35 shots on goal.
- The third period saw Ohio State score three consecutive goals while holding Minnesota State to just one goal on seven shots. The Mavericks started the period with their second goal of the game at :57 into the frame. The was the last goal the Buckeyes allowed.
- On Ohio State’s lone power play opportunity of the day, Gardiner tallied her second goal of the game at 4:42. Bizal earned the primary assist again, sending the puck back to Gardiner who launched it from the slot into the Minnesota State net. Makenna Webster also added a helper on the goal.
- Levis’ followed Gardiner with a two-goal game of her own, scoring her second at 6:14. She took advantage of a Minnesota State turnover, picking up the puck in the Buckeyes’ defensive zone and taking it all the way to the goal herself.
- Brook Bink closed out the night with a goal at 14:40 assisted by Sloane Matthews. As the Mavericks tried to escape their defensive zone, Matthews recovered the puck in the neutral zone and connected with Bink, who was rushing back into Maverick territory. The senior took a shot just as she entered the zone, sending the puck through two defenders and finishing over the right shoulder of Barbro.
- Quinn Kuntz earned her first start of her career at the OSU Ice Rink on Friday night. She had previous started at St. Thomas (Nov. 5) and at Lindenwood (Dec. 30-31). The senior improves to 4-0-0 this season for Ohio State.
- Madison Bizal led the team with a career-high three points on the night. She assisted the Buckeyes’ second, third and fourth goal of the game. She has now tallied 13 assists on the year for 15 points total.
- Jenn Gardiner’s two-goal game is her ninth multi-goal game of her career and second of the season. Gardiner now has a team-high 42 points on the season.
- Paetyn Levis also recorded a two-goal game, making it her third multi-goal performance in four games and fourth game with multiple goals this season.
- Hartmetz has recorded a point in the last three games for Ohio State.
- Sophie Jaques scored her 19th goal of the year on Friday night, a team-high mark. With two points on the day, the defenseman has recorded 37 points this season.
- With the final goal of the day, Brook Bink scored her first goal of the season. The senior has now scored 15 goals for her career.
Total Shots: Ohio State 90, Minnesota State 33
Shots on Goal: Ohio State 48, Minnesota State 17
Saves: Minnesota State (Barbro) 42, Ohio State (Kuntz) 15
Power Play: Ohio State 1-1, Minnesota State 1-2
Faceoffs: Minnesota State 26, Ohio State 25
Ohio State Scoring: Bizal (0-3-3), Gardiner (2-0-2), Levis (2-0-2), Jaques (1-1-2), Bink (1-0-1), Buglioni (0-1-1), Hartmetz (0-1-1), Matthews (0-1-1), Webster (0-1-1)
Ohio State and Minnesota State meet for game two of the series, and the final game of the regular season series, tomorrow at the OSU Ice Rink. Puck drop is set for 3 p.m. on Saturday. Admission and parking for Ohio State women’s hockey games are free.