RELATED INFO: Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram | 2019 Roster | 2019 Schedule | PDF Box Score| Season Statistics | HTML Box Score
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Buckeyes (2-1) earned their second victory of the season with a 1-0 overtime win versus Dayton (0-3) at Baujan Field, Friday. Joe Ortiz netted the first goal of his Buckeye career in the first overtime period to secure the win for the Scarlet and Gray.
- Ohio State came out firing, testing the Dayton keeper in the first 12 minutes with four shots on goal.
- In the 20th minute, the Buckeyes had another good chance off a Flyers foul that resulted in a penalty kick. Matteo Bennati put a good strike on it, but Federico Barrios was able to get his hands on it for the save and keep the match scoreless.
- Each team earned three corners and had their chances but neither side could break through before halftime buzzer, leaving the contest knotted up at zeros.
- The second half featured much of the same, both teams created good opportunities but could not break the stalemate.
- Parker Siegfried kept the Buckeyes in the match, racking up four saves in regulation time to help send the game into extra time with no score. The shutout was the 14th of Siegfried’s career.
- Ohio State wasted no time after taking the field again, earning a corner kick in the 92nd minute. Jack Holland lined up and sent the ball into the box to Joe Ortiz who found the back of the net to seal the victory with the Golden goal.
- Joe Ortiz, the junior transfer from Air Force, scored his first goal as a Buckeye and second of his career.
- Jack Holland leads the team with six points on the season (two goals and two assists).
- The last time the Buckeyes won an overtime game was at Michigan State (10/21/16) with a 1-0 victory in double overtime.
- The last time Ohio State won back-to-back games was versus Rutgers (9/17/17) and Bowling Green (9/22/17). Both were 1-0 wins.
- The last time the Buckeyes won on the road was at No. 8 Michigan State (2-1) Nov. 5, 2017.
- This is the second time since 2009 Ohio State has won their road opener, the last time coming Sept. 8, 2017 at Northwestern (1-0).
- OSU is 20-38-9 all-time in the first true road game of the year.
- Last road win versus an Ohio opponent was a 1-0 win at Bowling Green (9/20/2007).
- The last time Ohio State won an overtime game and a road OT contest was at Michigan (10/21/16) at Michigan (1-0, 2OT)
Shots: Dayton 12, Ohio State 9
Saves: Ohio State 4, Dayton 4
Shots on Goal: Ohio State 5, Dayton 4
Corner Kicks: Dayton 10, Ohio State 5
Ohio State takes on EIU at 5 p.m. Sunday, September 8th at Baujan Field in the second game of the Dayton Classic.