Oct. 5, 2011

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Brady Wahlscored the game-winning goal in the 94th minute as the Ohio State men’s soccer team defeated Bowling Greem, 1-0, in overtime Wednesday night at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. The win is third in four games for the Buckeyes and gives them a 7-4-1 record on the season, while the Falcons had a four-game unbeaten streak snapped to fall to 7-3-1 overall.

The score is the first of Wahl’s career and ended a string of fruitless opportunities that plagued Ohio State throughout much of the match. Credit also must be given to the OSU defense who secured its second shutout of the season and goalkeeper Matt Lampsonwho made five key saves, including one with 18 seconds remaining in regulation to keep the Falcons off the board and force extra time.

“Bowling Green is a good team,” John Bluem, 15-year Ohio State head coach said. “The record they have is no fluke. They’ve got some good players and they’re very well organized and disciplined. I thought they played a good game.”

Wahl’s goal came just over three minutes into extra time following a long throw-in by Adam Gorskithat was batted around in the box before being deflected to Wahl about 10 yards out. The rookie from Geneva, Ill., was able to get a foot on the ball and redirect it past Falcon goalkeeper Miguel Rosales who was out of position from the melee on the throw-in.

“I think just being in the right place at the right time helped out,” Wahl said of first career goal. “We had that trailing run all night. Whether it was me or somebody else it was bound to happen. It was a nice ball by Gorski.”

Prior to the score, the Buckeyes had placed 10 shots on goal, including seven in the second half, to mark just the second time this season they hit double-digits. Among the off-target shots were several great opportunities from the likes of Sebastian Rivas and Ben Killian. Rivas had a goal called back because of an offsides call in the 22nd minute and Killian sent shots just wide in nearly every direction and also had a shot narrowly saved by a Falcon defender in the 20th minute.

The Falcons also produced a fair number of chances which led to Lampson’s five saves and the defense picking up a handful of blocks, in addition to a team save on Tanner Fink’s shot in the 85th minute. Both teams put up 10 shots apiece in the first half, but Ohio State finished with a 24-19 advantage on the night and trailed in the corner kick count 9-8.

Now with their third win in four games, the Buckeyes hope to continue the momentum as they head back into Big Ten play against Northwestern Sunday.

“We’re going in the right direction, Wahl said. “We need to keep the wins coming especially since we’re in conference. We need to keep things going forward so we can have a shot at the ring.”

Ohio State faces Northwestern at 2 p.m. Sunday in Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. The Wildcats are 4-4-3 overall after playing No. 12 Notre Dame to a 1-1 draw Wednesday and are 0-0-1 in the Big Ten. The Wildcats tied Michigan State, 1-1, in its lone conference game Sept. 24.