COLUMBUS, Ohio – In a top-25 showdown on Sunday afternoon at the OSU Varsity Tennis Center, No. 2 Ohio State dominated from start to finish, dispatching No. 24 Georgia 4-0.
The Buckeyes improve to 8-0 on the season and avenge a 4-0 loss last year to the Bulldogs in Athens.
The doubles point was on serve on all three courts midway through but then the Buckeyes snagged breaks on each court. The team of Alex Kobelt and James Trotter were first off the court with a 6-4 win over the No. 46 team of Phillip Henning and Walker Duncan. John McNally and Hunter Tubert then capped the point with a 6-2 win on court three over Alex Diaz and Emil Reinberg.
The Buckeyes came out firing in singles and took all six of the first sets. It then turned into a race to see who would provide the clinching points. Joyce took down Henning on court four 6-3, 6-2 and Tubert followed with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Blake Croyder on court six.
With the score 3-0, McNally, Kobelt and JJ Wolf all had match points on their respective courts. Kobelt was the one to finish it off as he beat Walker Duncan 6-4, 6-3 on court five. McNally was leading 40-30 vs. No. 7 Jan Zielinski on court two and Zielinski opted not to finish the match. Same held true on court one as Wolf was a point away with Emil Reinberg serving and he too decided not to finish the match.
Ohio State now preps for a match with No. 5 Southern Cal on Tuesday evening at the Varsity Tennis Center. This will be the Trojans’ first trip to Columbus for a match. First serve is set for 6 p.m.
#2 Ohio State 4, #24 Georgia 0
1. #2 JJ Wolf (OSU) vs. #22 Emil Reinberg (UGA) 6-2, 5-3, unfinished
2. #62 John McNally (OSU) vs. #7 Jan Zielinski (UGA) 6-3, 5-1, unfinished
3. #12 Kyle Seelig (OSU) vs. #107 Robert Loeb (UGA) 6-4, 5-3, unfinished
4. Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Phillip Henning (UGA) 6-3, 6-2
5. #86 Alex Kobelt (OSU) def. Walker Duncan (UGA) 6-4, 6-3
6. Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Blake Croyder (UGA) 6-2, 6-4
1. JJ Wolf/Martin Joyce (OSU) def. #31 Robert Loeb/Jan Zielinski (UGA) 5-4
2. Alex Kobelt/James Trotter (OSU) def. #46 Phillip Henning/Walker Duncan (UGA) 6-4
3. John McNally/Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Alex Diaz/Emil Reinberg (UGA) 6-2
Georgia 1-3; National ranking #24
Ohio State 8-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (4,6,5)
Official: Marcus Lee T-1:42 A-351