IOWA CITY, Iowa – Ohio State got wins from its top two doubles teams and then rolled to three quick singles victories to defeated host Iowa 4-0 in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament in Iowa City.
The Buckeyes advance to face No. 4 seed and No. 37 ranked Minnesota in the semifinals on Saturday at Noon ET.
Martin Joyce and JJ Wolf opened with a solid 6-2 victory at No. 1 doubles over the team of Kareem Allaf and Jonas Larsen. Mikael Torpegaard and John McNally lost the first two games of their match at No. 2 doubles but then rallied to take the set 6-3 and clinch the point.
In singles, Wolf dominated Piotr Smietana on court two 6-0, 6-0 to make it 2-0 Buckeyes. McNally followed with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Joe Tyler on court three and then Martin Joyce clinched the point with his 6-3, 6-4 win over Will Davies on court six.
Ty Tucker Post Match Comment
“We got down in the doubles point and were able to scrap and got a little lucky. We’re still trying to get used to outdoor tennis. It’s been a crazy spring with not a lot of good weather and today it was a bit breezy. Iowa is a very good team who’s good at doubles and very good at Nos. 4, 5 and 6. So to be able to escape doubles and then to take care of two courts where we thought we needed to win (courts 2 and 3) was good for us. It’s never easy to have to play the host school in the first round.”
#3 Ohio State 4, Iowa 0
1. Josh Silverstein (IOWA) vs. #5 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) 6-7 (9-11), 2-1, unfinished
2. #40 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Piotr Smietana (IOWA) 6-0, 6-0
3. #101 John McNally (OSU) def. Joe Tyler (IOWA) 6-4, 6-1
4. Kareem Allaf (IOWA) vs. Tim Seibert (OSU) 7-6 (7-2), 4-1, unfinished
5. Jonas Larsen (IOWA) vs. #95 Kyle Seeling (OSU) 5-7, 3-5, unfinished
6. #110 Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Will Davies (IOWA) 6-3, 6-4
1. Martin Joyce/JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Kareem Allaf/Jonas Larsen (IOWA) 6-2
2. #54 Mikael Torpegaard/John McNally (OSU) def. Will Davies/Piotr Smietana (IOWA) 6-3
3. Joe Tyler/Jake Jacoby (IOWA) vs. Hunter Tubert/Matt Mendez (OSU) 5-4, unfinished
Ohio State 27-2; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,3,6)
Big Ten Tournament Quarterfinals