Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat
|Ohio State vs. Detroit Mercy
|Date:||November 9, 2018
|Venue: ||Value City Arena - Columbus, Ohio
|Game Notes:||Ohio State | Detroit Mercy | Big Ten
|Promotions:||Military & Veterans Appreciation Game: Any active duty military or veteran that show valid I.D. at the main ticket office will receive two free tickets.
Student Giveaway: First 50 students will receive an OSU Artic Camo Beanie
Post Game Meet & Greet: All fans are invited following the game to meet & greet Makayla Waterman, Jensen Caretti, Savitha Jayaraman and Aaliyah Patty
Ohio State takes on Horizon League foe Detroit on Friday evening at 7 p.m. The Buckeyes dropped their season opener while Detroit defeated UM-Dearborn on Tuesday night.
Noting Ohio State
- The Buckeyes will be looking for their first win of the season on Friday when they host Detroit Mercy from the Horizon League.
- This will be the seventh meeting all-time between the two schools and the first since 1995.
- Buckeye assistant coach Carrie Banks played four seasons for the Titans and is sixth in school history in both career steals and assists.
- Ohio State opened the season on Tuesday with a 71-47 setback to No. 22/21 USF.
- OSU is tasked with replacing all five starters, its top-six point scorers and 93.3 percent of its total scoring from a season ago. The 93.3 percent is the highest total of any team in the country.
- Ohio State is one of just three teams in the country (Florida St. and Grand Canyon) that have to replace all five starts from last year.
- Ohio State’s 12 player roster boasts eight new faces including five graduate transfers and three true freshmen.
- A total of six Buckeyes have already received their undergraduate degrees and are working in various masters programs this year. That is the highest number of graduates on one roster in the country.
- Point guard Carmen Grande has dished-out 699 assists over her first three-plus seasons which are the most assists of any active player in the country, male or female.
- Grande was second in the country last season at 9.2 assists per game.
- Makayla Waterman is the only returning player who has started a game (1) but the five graduate transfers have started a combined 348 games.
- Head coach Kevin McGuff is beginning his sixth season with the Buckeyes. He has led his teams to postseason play in 15 of his 16 years as a head coach.
Noting Detroit mercy
- Detroit Mercy won its season opener 68-60 over UM Dearborn on Tuesday.
- Junior Zoey Oatis notched her first career double-double (16 pts, 11 reb) to go along with five blocks.
- Sophomore Lexey Tobel had a career-best 23 points, while freshman Paige Bellman had nine boards in her Titan debut.
- The Titans were picked to finish ninth in the 2018-19 Horizon League Preseason Poll.
Series History vs. Detroit Mercy
- The teams have met six times previously and have split those meetings 3-3.
- The teams have not played since Ohio State’s 94-75 victory in Columbus on Dec. 17, 1995.
- The Titans won the first three meetings in 1979 and two games during the 1981 season. The Buckeyes then won twice in 1982 and then again in 1995.
Who are you rooting for coach?
- Friday’s game will pose a bit of a conflict for Ohio State assistant coach Carrie Banks as she will be facing her alma mater.
- Banks was a four-year letter winner at Detroit from 1996-2000. She helped lead the Titans to 66 wins and an appearance in the NCAA Tournament her freshman season.
- Banks led the team during her senior year in points (12.3 ppg), assist (157), steals (90) and was second in rebounds (5.6 rpg).
- The Delaware, Ohio native also ranks sixth in school history in both career assists (382) and steals (219).