October 14, 2017

Buckeyes and Engineers Tie, 1-1


Oct. 14, 2017

Box Score

COLUMBUS, Ohio – For the second night in a row, the Ohio State men’s hockey team skated to a 1-1 overtime tie vs. Rensselaer in a nonconference game. A shootout was held following a five-minute overtime period, with Ohio State prevailing 1-0 in three rounds. The Buckeyes are now 1-1-2 this season (1-1-0-0 B1G), with the Engineers 0-0-2.

RPI opened the scoring just 56 seconds into the game, with Evan Tironese scoring after a turnover in the Buckeye zone. It was the lone goal allowed by Buckeye goalie Sean Romeo, who stopped the final 22 shots he saw.

The Buckeyes tied the game in the second period. Junior John Wiitala won the battle along the boards and the puck went to senior Luke Stork. He found classmate Christian Lampasso all alone in front and he scored at 2:16 for a 1-1 game. Wiitala shares the Buckeye lead with four points this season, with a point in each of the first four games.

Christian Lampasso scores his first goal of the season with the assists going to Luke Stork and John Wiitala. #GoBucks pic.twitter.com/y4rmkKX7Ub

— Ohio State M Hockey (@OhioState_MHKY) October 14, 2017

Ohio State had 15 shots in the third period, holding RPI to six, but could not find the back of the net. The Engineers had three of the four shots on goal in the overtime period.

In the shootout, RPI went first, and Romeo made a save on all three Engineer attempts. Buckeye sophomore Tanner Laczynski sealed the shootout win with a goal in the third round.

Ohio State outshot Rensselaer, 28-23, in the game. Romeo played 64:40 and had 22 saves, moving his goals-against average to 1.69 and his save percentage to .924. He allowed one goal in each game vs. RPI in the series. RPI goalie Chase Perry, who had an arena-record 56 saves Friday, made 27 stops Saturday in 64:56.

Coach Rohlik, John Wiitala and Luke Stork spoke after today’s 1-1 OT tie vs. RPI. #GoBucks pic.twitter.com/bCBaIpW6D4

— Ohio State M Hockey (@OhioState_MHKY) October 15, 2017

The Buckeyes had 14 shot blocks in the game, with Sasha Larocque, Matt Miller and Matt Joyaux each blocking three to lead Ohio State.

Each team was 0-for-3 on the power play in the game. Ohio State is 12-for-13 (.923) on the penalty kill this season.

Up Next
Ohio State will hit the road for two games against UMass. The teams will meet at 7 p.m. Friday and 8 p.m. Saturday in Amherst, N.Y. The Buckeyes will then return home to host Robert Morris at 7 p.m. Oct. 27, completing the home-and-home with the Colonials at 7 p.m. Oct. 28.

Quoting Steve Rohlik, Ohio State head coach
On the play of the team late
“I was happy with our third period. We started to play the way we needed to. Sometimes it’s not all about the number of shots, it’s about the quality of them. Tonight, I don’t think we were as good down low, but I think we still generated enough to score more than one.”

On switching up his lines in the game
“I think our lines moved more tonight than they have in a long time, to be honest with you. When an injury happens, or when you’re just trying to find a connection out there, you have to tweak some things. I certainly tried to do that tonight.”

Luke Stork, Ohio State senior forward
On the difference between game one and game two
“Coming out tonight I thought we didn’t have the same energy we did last night. We just couldn’t get things going out of the gate like we did last night.”

John Wiitala, Ohio State junior forward
On the team mentality after giving up an early goal
“I don’t think it changes anything. I think we always try and stick to our game plan, whether we are up five goals, or down five goals.”

On improvements moving forward
“I think as a team we always focus on playing 60 minutes. I think both games we came up a little short of that, but I think we can learn from that moving forward.”