COLUMBUS, Ohio – The fourth seeded Ohio State men’s tennis team is off to a commanding start in the NCAA Championships with its 4-0 win over Horizon League champion Youngstown State. The Buckeyes are appearing in their 22nd NCAA Championships and are now 59-21 all-time in the tournament; today’s win improves the overall season record to 25-3.
In doubles, Ohio State came out strong to start the day. Andrew Lutschaunig and Justin Boulais set the tone and cruised to a quick 6-1 win on court two. Both Cannon Kingsley/JJ Tracy and No. 2 ranked Matej Vocel/Robert Cash were locked at 2-2 in their matches, however, they quickly found their stride. Both remaining matches were at match point in the Buckeye’s favor and had near consecutive finishes to clinch the doubles point. Kingsley and Tracy sealed the doubles point with their 6-3 win. Vocel and Cash were playing the final point and won simultaneously with Kingsley and Tracy which officially earned the third Buckeye doubles win on the day.
It was a similar scene in singles with outstanding performances all around. No. 9 ranked Kingsley, No. 13 Vocel, and No. 19 Tracy had near simultaneous first set wins all winning 6-1. Vocel kept his foot on the gas and finished first with a 6-1, 6-1 win. James Trotter followed soon after with a dominant 6-2, 6-0 win making the Buckeye lead 3-0. Kingsley capped off the first round Buckeye victory with his 6-1, 6-2 win. All Buckeyes had impressive leads in the unfinished matches as well once Kingsley sealed the sweep.
The Buckeyes are back in action tomorrow for a second-round battle with Columbia at 4 p.m. ET.
#4 Ohio State 4, Youngstown State 0
1. #9 Cannon Kingsley (OSU) def. Laurentiu Mandocescu (YSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. #13 Matej Vocel (OSU) def. Harry Fouzas (YSU) 6-1, 6-1
3. #19 JJ Tracy (OSU) vs. Clement Mainguy (YSU) 6-1, 5-2, unfinished
4. #46 James Trotter (OSU) def. Nathan Favier (YSU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Justin Boulais (OSU) vs. David Moreno (YSU) 6-2, 3-1, unfinished
6. Andrew Lutschaunig (OSU) vs. William Everett (YSU) 6-3, 4-1 unfinished
1. #2 Matej Vocel/Robert Cash (OSU) def. Laurentiu Mandocescu/Harry Fouzas (YSU) 6-2
2. Andrew Lutschaunig/Justin Boulais (OSU) def. William Everett/Nathan Favier (YSU) 6-1
3. Cannon Kingsley/JJ Tracy (OSU) def. Clement Mainguy/David Moreno (YSU) 6-3
Ohio State 25-3
Youngstown State 15-9
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,4,1)