Jan. 25, 2016
Melani Moylan is a senior forward on the Ohio State women’s hockey team. Originally from Mississauga, Ontario, Moylan was picked as one of the two team captains earlier this season by head coach Jenny Potter. Moylan scored a goal in each game this past weekend when the Buckeyes went 1-0-1 against WCHA foe Minnesota State. The senior has laced up her skates 128 times for the Scarlet and Gray, tying her with teammate Kendall Curtis for the most among active players.
- What is the best time of year on campus? Definitely the summer or spring because oval beach is a lot of fun.
- What is your preferred mode of transportation to class? I walk just about everywhere on campus.
- Have you switched your major? If so, how many times and why and if not, how did you know your major was “the one”? Coming in as a Canadian you have to declare a major right away and in grade 12 I was not 100% sure what I wanted to do so I just picked international studies. At the end of freshman year I had switched it to Sociology.
- What has been your favorite or most interesting class at OSU? My death and dying class (Soc2290) was very interesting. Julia McKinnon and I took it together and we went to an autopsy, which was a very eye opening experience…
- If you had to give an incoming student advice, what would it be? There’s more to Columbus then just Ohio State. You should check out the whole city, go to a Blue Jackets game, go for dinner and experience everything it has to offer.
- What social media outlet do you prefer the most? Everyone loves a good pregame Insta!!
- Which do you watch more: Netflix or TV? 100% Netflix. My roommates and I don’t have TV so we rely pretty heavily on the Netflix.
- Would you rather read the book or watch the movie? Watch the movie because then I am not upset with everything they left out from the book.
- What song can you not help but sing-a-long to? Embarrassingly enough… My Band – D12, which takes me back to when sang karaoke on our bus trip.
- What was the last concert you went to? Country Fest in the Shoe!!! 100% everyone needs to experience!
- What was the last movie that you saw in theaters? The Hateful Eight and I do not suggest for anyone to see it… Not my favorite movie.
- Favorite pro sports team? From Toronto so I have to be a die heart Leafs fan
- Favorite athlete? I might have a lady crush on Camille Leblanc-Bazinet…
- Do you model your game after anyone specific? If so, who? #16 Darcy Tucker!
- When is your favorite time of your sport’s season? The beginning because nothing is better then getting back on the ice with my fellow Buckeyes after a long time apart.
- Which team do you most look forward to competing against? North Dakota is always a fun, physical game.
- Do you have any pre-game/match superstitions or rituals? Always have to start a warm up with a good heat up and some soccer! I also always read an email from my dad to get me ready for my game.
- What is your favorite part about your sport? Seeing as I model Darcy Tucker I would have to say the physical aspect of the game always puts a smile on my face.
- What is your favorite athletic memory? Beating Minnesota on TV in a shootout. Minnesota had only been beaten twice in two years, which is more than 70 games!
- When you are not at practice, what could someone find you doing? Watching Game of Thrones with Dean Ferris and JT Blubaugh.
- If you could witness any event of the past, present, or future, what would it be? I would like to go back in time to the very beginning to see how we actually all came to be. So many questions would be answered by doing this.
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Switzerland so that I could snowboard in the Swiss Alps!
- If you could play another sport other than yours, what would it be? Track because I miss the butterflies I had before every race in high school.
- If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be? I couldn’t fly because I am terrified of heights so it would have to be speed because speed kills! And I could get places faster and never be late!
- If you could have dinner with any three people, dead or alive, who would they be? Myself in 25 years to see how I turn out. My great grandpa Jack who fought in WWI because he would be very interesting. I would also like to have dinner with Rosa Parks because I am interested in history and would love to learn from such an empowering woman.
- If you could switch places with anyone on your team for a day, who would you choose? I would switch with Julia McKinnon because I could experience being fast for once!
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? “We all make mistakes but it’s how we respond which truly defines your character”
- Would you be the first O, H, I or last O in a picture? I am usually the I or an O but I don’t really have a preference.
- What is your favorite part about being a Buckeye? The culture and the fact that you are part of something