Feb. 15, 2016
This week’s Student-Athlete Spotlight focuses on Liz Buerling. A junior on Ohio State’s back-to-back National Championship winning Pistol team, Buerling was chosen as one of the student-athletes who will be going to Jamaica this May for the athletic department’s annual Soles4Souls trip. More information about the charity Soles4Souls can be found here.
“I am so excited for the wonderful opportunity the athletic department has provided me by nominating me for the Soles4Souls trip to Jamaica! I’m looking forward to being able to make a small difference in these people’s lives by providing them with shoes and spending time with them while we’re there.”
Liz was kind enough to answer some questions for us to help you learn a little bit more about one of our outstanding student-athletes.
- What is the best time of year on campus? Spring because everyone on campus is happy that winter is over, and oval beach comes out again.
- What is your preferred mode of transportation to class? The buses are a life saver, I would never make it on time without them.
- Have you switched your major? If so, how many times and why and if not, how did you know your major was “the one”? I have changed my major twice, I did it all in a week. I was originally biology, then agriculture systems and now animal science, which I love. I changed because I thought biology was boring, agriculture systems ended up not being what I thought it was, and now I found my home in animal sciences.
- What has been your favorite or most interesting class at OSU? Animal physiology (3140), which am currently taking. It’s the first time in my collegiate career that I leave lecture and think `wow, that is amazing’.
- If you had to give an incoming student advice, what would it be? My advice would be to not be so hard on yourself at first, college is a time of change and learning. It’s only a mistake the second time you do something, let the first time be a learning experience.
- What social media outlet do you prefer the most? Instagram I don’t enjoy reading and Instagram has very little.
- Which do you watch more: Netflix or TV? Netflix for sure, I really don’t have time to follow anything on TV so Netflix is perfect because it’s on my own time.
- Would you rather read the book or watch the movie? Watch a movie ANY DAY, like I said I am not one for reading.
- What song can you not help but sing-a-long to? Trumpets by Jason Derulo, it always happens to come on when I am in the car with my teammates Quentin Cauffman and Mike Soklaski, we jam out.
- What was the last concert you went to? The last one I went to was Hunter Hayes. OSU put it on at the LC and I can’t turn down a free concert.
- What was the last movie that you saw in theaters? “The Boy”, if you like scary movies this was surprisingly great with many twists and turns that are unexpected.
- Favorite pro sports team? Cleveland Cavaliers, one of the few good teams in Ohio.
- Favorite athlete? LeBron James, he is from my hometown and I can’t help but love him.
- When is your favorite time of your sport’s season? The spring because it’s close to the end yet we have our hardest matches then, therefore it’s also the most rewarding.
- Do you have any pre-game/match superstitions or rituals? I always find a place to go on my own to listen to music and pray. If my family comes to the match then we all pray together before I go on the line.
- What is your favorite part about your sport? My teammates, I have no idea how I would get through college without them. They always can put a smile on my face.
- What is your favorite athletic memory? My sophomore year at Nationals my senior teammate Greyson McCaig shot a personal best for his very last match of his career to help us win the National Championship that year. He said “he went out having a party”, I hope to do just the same thing, when that time comes for me.
- When you are not at practice, what could someone find you doing? If I’m not practicing you can probably find me cooking it’s my favorite way to avoid studying.
- If you could witness any event of the past, present, or future, what would it be? I would love to see the first time my parents met, they are high school sweethearts and I would love to see how it first began. I want the same relationship they share one day.
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? I want to go to Egypt and see the pyramids for myself in person. I think it’s fascinating how we still don’t know how they were built.
- If you could play another sport other than yours, what would it be? I would love to do gymnastics, I can’t do a thing but I think what they do is incredible. I respect them so much.
- If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be? My mom would say I would be observe-a-toe, she says this because I notice a lot and I am extremely observational.
- If you could have dinner with any three people, dead or alive, who would they be? I would want Carrie Underwood, Blake Lively, and Ronda Rousey because I want to be all of them and it would be amazing if I could have a combination of all their talents and looks.
- If you could switch places with anyone on your team for a day, who would you choose? I would pick Irina Andrianova she just has it all together, she is very smart and a talented shooter with not a mean bone in her body.
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? Anything and everything my dad tells me. One in particular, for shooting, is to be selfless and to put my team’s accomplishments ahead of my own accomplishments. For life in general he always tells me to never give up even when the door appears closed. Don’t stop fighting for what is important to you.
- Would you be the first O, H, I or last O in a picture? The first O, I always like to be first in general.
- What is your favorite part about being a Buckeye? My favorite part is the endless opportunities that this university brings me, there is nothing that OSU doesn’t have.