COLLEGE PARK, Md. – Ohio State clinched its series with Maryland on Sunday afternoon after putting up a season-high 17 hits in its 15-3 victory at the Maryland Softball Stadium. The Buckeyes improve to 20-10 overall and 5-1 in Big Ten action while the Terrapins drop to 17-17 with a 1-5 league record.
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED
- After the first six batters of the game went down in order, Ohio State jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the second. The inning started with a walk for Kallie Boren, who Spencer Sansom ran for, and single by Kaitlyn Coffman. With a full count, Ashley Prange doubled down the left field line to bring the duo in.
- The hits kept coming for the Buckeyes in the third as they went up 6-0. Betschel had a leadoff single and advanced to second on a wild pitch. Up next, Lilli Piper doubled to left center to send her home. Boren dropped the ball in left field and made it over to second base while Piper scampered in. Facing two outs, Andi Farrah connected on a RBI double for another tally.
- The Terps replaced starting pitcher Kiana Carr in the third but after her reliever gave up consecutive walks to the stack the bags she was brought back in. Carr promptly hit Nicholson with a pitch, letting a run come across.
- Maryland joined the scoring in home half on a pair of RBI singles by JoJo McRae and Anna Kufta, cutting Ohio State’s advantage to 6-2.
- Both teams tacked on a run in the fourth. A fielding error by the first baseman gave Clark time to get home and it was a solo home run for UMD’s Sammie Stefan.
- Ashley Prange opened the fifth with a triple to right field. Betschel earned a walk before Piper had a RBI single to right. Clark followed suit with a single up the middle, scoring Betschel, and Boren’s sac fly pushed the lead to 10-3.
- The Buckeyes notched five runs on six hits in the seventh. Back-to-back singles by Betschel and Piper with a Clark walk loaded the bases before a passed ball accounted for a run. Boren walked to stack the bags again and Megan McMenemy’s two-RBI double and Meg Otte’s RBI single pushed runs across. A sac fly resulted in the final run of the game.
IN THE CIRCLE
- Right-handed pitcher Lauren Rice (11-1) earned her second victory of the weekend. She spent five innings in the circle, allowing six hits and three runs while striking out five.
- Morgan Ray and Kat Duvall both tossed one inning of relief.
- As a team, Ohio State batted .486 with a .714 slugging clip and 1.000 fielding percentage.
- Lilli Piper paced the Buckeyes hitting .600 with four runs, three hits and two RBI. Her runs and five at-bats are career highs.
- Ashley Prange was 2-for-2 with two walks, a 2.500 slugging percentage and drove in a career-best three runs.
- Kallie Boren added two runs, two RBI, one hit and two walks.
- Bri Betschel scored a career-high three runs and had two hits while Meg Otte chipped in two hits and a RBI.
- The Buckeyes connected on seven extra-base hits (6 doubles, 1 triple).
- Ohio State is 14-3 all-time against Maryland.
- The Buckeyes outscored the Terps by a 27-7 margin over the weekend.
Ohio State heads to Pittsburgh for a midweek contest on Wednesday at 4 p.m.