OMAHA, Neb. – The Ohio State baseball team’s Big Ten Tournament run ended Saturday afternoon with an 8-1 loss to No. 1 seed Minnesota in the semifinals at TD Ameritrade Park. The Buckeyes (36-22) finish the conference tournament with a 2-2 record. Ohio State will now wait for Monday’s selection show for the 2018 NCAA Tournament at Noon ET televised on ESPNU.
- For the fourth straight day in Omaha, Tyler Cowles gave the boys the early lead. On a 0-2 pitch vs. Patrick Fredrickson, the 2018 Big Ten Pitcher of the Year, the OSU left fielder launched a solo home run off the left field foul pole to give the Buckeyes the 1-0 advantage.
- Ohio State starting pitcher Yianni Pavlopoulos tossed three straight scoreless innings vs. the top hitting team in the Big Ten. He struck out two Gophers in a 1-2-3 first. Pavlopoulos stranded two in the second and left the bases loaded in the third.
- The Gophers loaded the bases vs. Pavlopoulos to begin the top of the fourth and the Buckeyes went to their bullpen with left-handed pitcher Griffan Smith relieving the OSU fifth-year senior. Pavlopoulos threw three innings on one run, five hits, three walks and two strikeouts in a no decision. A sac fly tied the game, but Smith recorded the next two outs on a fly out and called strike three to keep it a 1-1 contest. In the fifth, Smith stranded two more runners with a strikeout and fly out. Smith gave up three runs on two hits with two walks and two strikeouts after a big sixth inning for Minnesota, who sent 10 batters to the plate.
- The Gophers scored six times on four hits to take a 7-1 lead in the top of the sixth.
- Fredrickson improve to 9-0 in 2018, throwing six innings and allowed one run one on two hits with two walks and one strikeout.
- Today marked the first time Ohio State and Minnesota met in the Big Ten Tournament since the 2011 season.
- Ohio State falls to 17-16 all-time vs. the Gophers.
- Cowles extended his hit streak to 14 straight games (season-high).
- Cowles launched his eighth home run of the year and 11th of his career. He has 49 RBI, which is second-most on the team.
- Cowles leads the Big Ten Tournament with six RBI.
- Foppe’s 10-game hit streak was snapped today. Foppe led the Buckeyes with six hits at the Big Ten Tournament.
- Reached base streaks extended: Cowles (15), Foppe (14), Dingler (4) and Coolen (3).
- Minnesota left 13 on base, while Ohio State stranded five runners.