March 13, 2018

12 Buckeyes Qualify for NCAA Championships


March 13, 2018

2017-18 Schedule
Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The stage is officially set for the 2018 NCAA Fencing Championships, with 12 Buckeyes selected by the NCAA Men’s and Women’s Fencing Committee to represent Ohio State. All weapons will be represented by the Buckeyes in the championships and two fencers will be competing in each weapon category.

A total of 144 fencers were selected by the committee to represent their programs on the championship stage. There will be 24 fencers competing for each weapon. The selection was based 60 percent on an individual’s finish at Regionals with the other 40 percent based on the individual’s regular season competition strength.

The event will be Mar. 22-25, hosted by Pennsylvania State University at the Multi-Sport Facility in University Park, Pa.

Lewis Weiss, Marc-Antoine Blais Belanger, Stas Sudilovsky, and Maximilien Chastanet will be competing in their fourth NCAA Championships. Frederik Koch will make his first appearance since his freshman season at the championships while Domenik Koch will be making his second appearance in as many years.

For the women, only two have experience at the NCAA championships. Emma von Dadelszen and Sarah Merza are making their third and second run respectively.

Semi-final and final bouts will be available to watch live on ESPN3 or stream in the WatchESPN App. To catch the semi-final and final bouts as well as other championship highlights, tune into ESPNU at 1 p.m. Eastern time on April 4.

Ohio State NCAA Qualifiers
Men’s Epee
Lewis Weiss
Marc-Antoine Blais Belanger

Men’s Foil
Maximilien Chastanet
Stas Sudilovsky

Men’s Sabre
Domenik Koch
Frederik Koch

Women’s Epee
Alexanne Verret
Emma von Dadelszen

Women’s Foil
Gabriela Cecchini
Camilla Rivano

Women’s Sabre
Maddalena Bosetti
Sarah Merza