COLUMBUS, Ohio The 38th-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team (15-9, 8-3 Big Ten) is moving on to the semifinals of the Big Ten tournament after a quarterfinal victory today over 45th-ranked Indiana (14-10, 6-5 Big Ten), 4-1, at McKee Farms Park outside of Madison, Wis. The Buckeyes will take on the top-ranked team in both the Big Ten and the nation tomorrow at in Northwestern at 11 a.m. ET, who swept the Scarlet and Gray, 7-0, in their previous meeting this spring in Evanston.
The early returns from the match were not favorable for Ohio State taking a loss in the doubles point. Each match came down to the wire and was eventually decided in a tiebreaker at No. 3 doubles. Christina Keesey and Angela DiPastina won their match at No. 1 doubles against Maria Guerreiro and Katya Zapadalova, 8-5, in the first match to finish. Julie Blackmore and Cami Hubbs could not hold off Sigrid Fischer and Charlotte Martin at the No. 2 spot, losing 8-6.
The doubles point came down to No. 3, where Kelsey Haviland and Paloma Escobedo looked to pick up the win against Myriam Sopel and Lindsey Stuckey. It was not to be for the Buckeyes duo, as the Hoosier tandem took the match and the doubles point in the tiebreaker, 9-8 (7-3).
The loss in doubles did not faze Ohio State, however, and they came out firing in singles. Keesey kept her outstanding spring campaign going at No. 3 singles against Alba Berdala, cruising to a 6-2, 6-0 win to tie up the overall match score at one.
Escobedo was the next victor for the Buckeyes, taking a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 2 singles against Charlotte Martin, giving Ohio State a 2-1 overall match advantage. All-Big Ten performer Kirsten Flower added another team point at the top spot, winning her team-high 19th singles match of 2008-09 against Zapadalova, 6-3, 6-3.
Fittingly, it was the senior DiPastina who sealed up the match, giving Ohio State its first postseason win during her time as a Buckeye by beating Lindsey Stuckey 7-5, 6-3. The two other matches were left unfinished, with Hubbs holding a 6-3, 6-6 (3-4) advantage over Fischer at No. 4 singles and Blackmore tied at 6-1, 4-6 entering a third set with Sopel.
Tennis Match Results
Indiana vs Ohio State
4/23/2009 at Fitchburg, Wis.
(McKee Farms Park)
#38 Ohio State 4, #45 Indiana 1
1. Kirsten Flower (OSU) def. Katya Zapadalova (IND) 6-3, 6-3
2. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Charlotte Martin (IND) 6-3, 6-1
3. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Alba Berdala (IND) 6-2, 6-0
4. Cami Hubbs (OSU) vs. Sigrid Fischer (IND) 6-3, 6-6 (3-4), unfinished
5. Angela DiPastina (OSU) def. Lindsey Stuckey (IND) 7-5, 6-3
6. Julie Blackmore (OSU) vs. Myriam Sopel (IND) 6-1, 4-6, unfinished
1. Angela DiPastina/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Maria Guerreiro/Katya Zapadalova (IND) 8-5
2. Sigrid Fischer/Charlotte Martin (IND) def. Cami Hubbs/Julie Blackmore (OSU) 8-6
3. Myriam Sopel/Lindsey Stuckey (IND) def. Kelsey Haviland/Paloma Escobedo (OSU) 9-8 (7-3)
Indiana 14-9 (6-4 Big Ten); National ranking #45
Ohio State 14-9 (7-3 Big Ten); National ranking #38
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,2,1,5)