COLUMBUS, Ohio In front of the women’s tennis record crowd at the Ohio State Varsity Tennis Center, the 37th-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team (6-5, 1-0 Big Ten) knocked off Penn State (2-8, 0-2 Big Ten), 6-1, in its Big Ten home opener. The win was the 100th-career home win for Buckeye head coach Chuck Merzbacher, now in his 13th season with the Scarlet and Gray.
“It’s nice to start off the Big Ten season with a win,” Merzbacher said. “It was a great home crowd today so it was nice to get a win for them. I just want to personally thank everyone who came out and supported us today.”
Ohio State started the match by taking the doubles point the third-consecutive match they have done so with wins all three positions. Christina Keesey and Angela DiPastina earned an 8-2 win at No. 1 doubles over Sarah Lotto and Monika Mical, while Paloma Escobedo and Kirsten Flower swept Lauren McCarthy and Denisa Zobeideh, 8-0, to clinch the doubles point. Julie Blackmore and Cami Hubbs finished it off in No. 2 doubles, taking an 8-5 win over Dorothy Dohanics and Leyla Morzan.
The Buckeyes did not relent in singles, as Keesey cruised to a 6-1, 6-1, win over Michaela Stracar in No. 6 singles to put Ohio State up 2-0 in the match. Blackmore followed suit from the No. 5 spot, dropping Zobeideh in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3. Flower locked up the Buckeyes’ first Big Ten win of the season at the top spot, defeating Mical, 6-4, 6-3.
Escobedo picked up her fourth win in six matches over Lauren McCarthy at No. 2 singles, winning 6-3, 6-2. Hubbs rebounded from a 3-0 deficit in the first set to take the first set, 7-5, and again fought back from a 2-0 hole in the second to take the match, 7-5, 7-5.
DiPastina was handed just her second loss of the spring season at No. 3 singles by Dorothy Dohanics, 6-1, 6-4.
The Buckeyes return to the court Tuesday for a non-conference match with Conference USA opponent Rice at 4 p.m. at the Ohio State Varsity Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Penn State vs Ohio State
Feb 28, 2009 at Columbus, Ohio
#37 Ohio State 6, Penn State 1
1. #116 Kirsten Flower (OSU) def. Monika Mical (PSU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Lauren McCarthy (PSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Dorothy Dohanics (PSU) def. Angela DiPastina (OSU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Leyla Morzan (PSU) 7-5, 7-5
5. Julie Blackmore (OSU) def. Denisa Zobeideh (PSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Michaela Stracar (PSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Angela DiPastina/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Sarah Lotto/Monika Mical (PSU) 8-2
2. Julie Blackmore/Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Dorothy Dohanics/Leyla Morzan (PSU) 8-5
3. Paloma Escobedo/Kirsten Flower (OSU) def. Lauren McCarthy/Denisa Zobeideh (PSU) 8-0
Penn State 2-7
Ohio State 5-5; National ranking #37
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,5,1,2,3,4)