COLUMBUS, Ohio A day after taking down Washington State, the No. 36 Ohio State women’s tennis team (5-5, 0-0 Big Ten) finished off their weekend west coast road swing by knocking off No. 46 Oregon (6-3, 0-0 Pac-10), 5-2, at the Student Tennis Complex in Eugene, Ore.
The Buckeyes were locked in a tight one right out of the gate, with two doubles matches entering a super tiebreaker. Julie Blackmore and Cami Hubbs got things started in No. 2 doubles, winning 8-3 over Claudia Hirt and Madelie Janse van Rensburg. Things were not as easy for Paloma Escobedo and Kirsten Flower in No. 3 doubles, where they were beaten, 9-8 (4), by Trudie du Toit and Carmen Seremeta.
That meant the doubles point rested in the capable hands of Angela DiPastina and Christina Keesey at the No. 1 spot. They also entered a super tiebreaker, where they came out on top, 9-8 (3), over Pavlina Smatova and Ana Cecilia Olivos.
In singles, the No. 116th-ranked Flower got the Buckeyes going from the top spot, winning 7-5, 6-0, over Seremeta. The win was the fourth-consecutive for Flower, who has played exclusively in No. 1 singles this season.
The Buckeyes also picked up wins in No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 singles. Keesey played from the No. 5 spot for the first time this season, winning decisively, 6-1, 6-2, over du Toit. Kelsey Haviland was equally impressive in No. 6 singles, taking a straight set win over Hirt, 6-4, 6-3. DiPastina provided the clinching point for Ohio State with a 6-3, 6-1 victory against van Rensburg in No. 4 singles.
Hubbs fell to Olivos in No. 3 singles, 6-1, 6-3, while Escobedo was on the losing end of a 6-1, 7-5 decision against Smatova in the No. 2 spot.
The Scarlet and Gray return to Columbus this Saturday to open up the Big Ten season at the Ohio State Varsity Tennis Center against Penn State at 5 p.m. For a detailed play-by-play of today’s match, visit the women’s tennis page on GoDucks.com.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Oregon
Feb 22, 2009 at Eugene, Ore.
#38 Ohio State 5, #46 Oregon 2
1. #116 Kirsten Flower (OSU) def. Carmen Seremeta (OREGON) 7-5, 6-0
2. Pavlina Smatova (OREGON) def. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Ana Cecilia Olivos (OREGON) def. Cami Hubbs (OSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Angela DiPastina (OSU) def. Madelie van Rensburg (OREGON) 6-3, 6-1
5. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Trudie du Toit (OREGON) 6-1, 6-2
6. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) def. Claudia Hirt (OREGON) 6-4, 6-3
1. Angela DiPastina/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Pavlina Smatova/Ana Cecilia Olivos (OREGON) 9-8 (7-3)
2. Julie Blackmore/Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Claudia Hirt/Madelie van Rensburg (OREGON) 8-3
3. Trudie du Toit/Carmen Seremeta (OREGON) def. Kirsten Flower/Paloma Escobedo (OSU) 9-8 (7-4)
Ohio State 5-5; National ranking #38
Oregon 6-3; National ranking #46
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,5,3,4,6,2)